Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Toyota is preparing an assault on the youth demographic and by youth they mean under 40.

No matter, Toyota calls the car in question the S-FR, which stands for Small, Front Engine, Rear Drive, its the size of a Toyota Yaris and they kinda want to build it.

Toyota is hoping that a sub $15,000 MSRP, attractive, classic styling and excellent dynamics are enough to lure a younger buyer to the showroom, even if he happens to be 35.

Toyota says the S-FR project has been designed to offer “smooth, responsive and direct handling that gives a real sense of communication between car and driver.” That goes along with a vision of tuning and customization, if Toyota does send the S-FR we expect it to reach North America as a Scion.

Of course the question always comes down to cost of production. Yes Toyota is the master of production systems but their mastery simply cannot support a product that will not sell. Toyota will be carting the S-FR to autoshows around the globe looking for feedback from consumers, if its healthy enough they'll build it, if not they won't.

First they need a crossover, but what do you think, would the S-FR have sales legs if sold as a Scion in North America?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Drop a turbo charged straight 6 in there. Maybe have more bold body lines kinda like that sports coupe that pontiac had before they went away.

·
Registered
363 Posts
It might look like a Fiat but i'm sure Toyota has very good reason for going with the design they did here, and one of those could be to bring back design from a vehicle they once sold that could be considered the predecessor to this, just not sure which exact model that could be yet.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It might look like a Fiat but i'm sure Toyota has very good reason for going with the design they did here, and one of those could be to bring back design from a vehicle they once sold that could be considered the predecessor to this, just not sure which exact model that could be yet.
So you think the headlights are referencing an older Toyota model, but you have no idea which one? I don't recognize them as a Toyota thing, but I would be happy to see if those headlights are indeed in reference to a Toyota past.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I can see that being the case since they have sort of a retro look to them.

There was the 2000gt Toyota sold over 50 years ago, but that was a flagship coupe and nothing to compare to this aside from its curvy lines which both of these share.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also, more photos and such here:

Toyota S-FR

Some highlights are the possibility of a 1.5L 4cyl or a 1.2L turbo and a possible release date of January 2017 (for Japan, no clue on North America :p )

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sub $15k price tag with Scion pure pricing might just open up some wallets. I'm sure the car will be light so along with the Yaris size it'll be a great commuter/city car. What would remain to be seen is the pep in the car's step with the rumored 107 hp motor.

Underpowered cars are cool in the sense that you can just stomp on the gas but the Yaris (price point competitor) would have the benefit of a certain practicality: space for cargo and passengers.

As long as the power to weight ratio is as deliciously fun as the price tag this would be a great alternative to the Miata and FR-S which are over $11k more (going by the article's $12995 price tag).
I can see people going to the dealer with their gas guzzling vans, trucks and SUVs to buy this as their commuter/fun car as well as rolling out of the dealership with a bow on it for high school grads. Shoot, if this was out now, I'd probably have this instead of the iM because of my credit score.

With the recent deal between Mazda and Toyota, I can't help but wonder if by release time this will be outfitted with a new Toyota SkyActiv motor.

What WOULD make me bite is a Scion phoenix of the MR2. The TE-Spyder 800 concept is cool, but to me an MR2 should NOT be a CVT even if it gets a CVTi-S.
An SW20 reincarnate with SF-R pricing and 6 speed MT would make me leave trails of drool like a snail.

Digression aside, SF-R sounds like a full bag of fun for one of the smallest bags of car money. Couple that with the trend of awesome standard features like that found in my baby iM, and this could be a money maker for the Scion brand. I would be happy to have an early test drive *wink wink*. As far as styling, it's a little too round for my taste but the classic styling throw backs are cool. TRD SF-R sub-$15k too? (Drool) Oh and hill assist might help with MT SF-R sales here in San Francisco.

Man that ramble was a lot longer than I thought it'd be... My bad

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just noticed this, can't read it haha is the 126 hp for the turbo?
lol, yeah, looks like 126HP for the turbo :p Looks fun. I like small'ish cars like this. Scary part is, looks much smaller than the FR-S, yet I think I can see the red of a seat belt buckle in the back >_< It's going to be like the back seat kit they have for my SA22C... you can put your kid in the back, assuming you only have half of one o_o;

·
Registered
42 Posts
Scary part is, looks much smaller than the FR-S, yet I think I can see the red of a seat belt buckle in the back >_< It's going to be like the back seat kit they have for my SA22C... you can put your kid in the back, assuming you only have half of one o_o;
Lol wasn't the only reason to get a "2+2" for lower insurance rates?

A little horsepower can go a long way. If they keep the S-FR lightweight then it can still zoom around.
While I had full throttle fun on my Del Sol, I still had power envy of my friends who had 300+hp.
I just hope it fares better than the Brabus Smart Roadster haha.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My beef with it, is the interior looks like it belong in some boring commuter car, not something i'd expect to see in something sporty with 2 doors.

Would have been happy if it was something that too a lot of inspiration from the FR-S mixed with some new design cues.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My beef with it, is the interior looks like it belong in some boring commuter car, not something i'd expect to see in something sporty with 2 doors.

Would have been happy if it was something that too a lot of inspiration from the FR-S mixed with some new design cues.
Lol I guess the sub $15k price has cost cutting somewhere. The center console reminds me of a Yaris only driver centric and the passenger side dash looks very bland. It's like the driver's side is an oasis and the rest of the dash is the desert haha. Though I can see some potential of adding leather/aluminum/carbon fiber accents to the dash or a vip dash tray in aftermarket. I know its a small car and it might just be the perspective of the picture, but the thin side bolsters on the buckets look like they'd get flattened by my heavy thighs by the 3rd year. Good news is we'd see the crazy stuff done in Japan before it comes stateside.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Modified S-FR going to Tokyo Auto Salon (LINK) - currently the background on my work computer. 1. I hope we see this in the US and 2. I hope I can fit into it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
pretty sure its aped from the 2000 GT just like the 86 and the FT-1

Mmm, I think it looks a bit more closely related to the Toyota Sports 800, personally.

Looking at these two has me thinking that a 2000GT styled front end conversion for this new Scion/Toyota compact will be a good idea. Most importantly it has the body lines going on to accomplish it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Would anyone be on the market for a sporty looking car without all bells and whistles? The S-FR seems to be lacking the luxurious interior that you expect from cars styled like this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts