Scion iM Forum banner

6-Speed Manual or CVTi-S 7-Speed Automatic?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of the two available transmission options to choose from, which one will you be going with and why?

Scion iM Transmission Options:

6-Speed Manual
Gear Ratios
  • 1st - 3.727
  • 2nd - 2.045
  • 3rd - 1.31
  • 4th - 0.971
  • 5th - 0.764
  • 6th - 0.619

Reverse

Differential Ratio
  • 3.944-3.736

CVTi-S 7-Speed Automatic with Sport Sequential Shiftmatic Mode
Gear Ratios
  • 2.480-0.396

Reverse
  • 2.604-1.680

Differential Ratio

·
Registered
312 Posts
6 Speed - because it is the only way to drive.

Truthfully, the auto sounds nice, but I think the enthusiasts on here will prolly stick with the manual.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
6 Speed - because it is the only way to drive.

Truthfully, the auto sounds nice, but I think the enthusiasts on here will prolly stick with the manual.
Good choice.

This will be my commuter so i'm not too sure just yet what I want to do. A lot of people complain about how annoying manual can be in traffic, I don't want to have any regrets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Manual for me as well! I much prefer manual simply for more control and feel of the car. I also feel that manual does give less problem with less electronics. It comes down to drivers preference and experience with manual transmissions.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'd advise everyone here to test out the 7-speed using an iM or the current corolla S, sounds like it will be a fun automatic:

______

The Corolla S CVTi-S offers a Sport-mode that helps deliver a more dynamic driving experience with software tuning that alters shift points, creating transmission behavior during acceleration that enhances the sporty character of the S-grade. Sport mode is not a track focused mode, but rather a transmission setting that, along with unique electric power steering programming, helps create a sportier driving sensation during normal road and highway driving. The new CVTi-S’ 7-speed sport sequential shiftmatic mode can be actuated through steering wheel mounted paddle shifters or the shift gate. A plus or minus symbol in the gate allows drivers to make fast, sequential, stepped shifts to help enhance the driving experience. The Corolla S console shifter also offers a manual shift gate (M position) that allows drivers to make brisk upshifts or downshifts using the shift lever. The shift step will automatically be engaged if the engine revolutions become high enough or down shifted if they become low enough. The M modeactivity is displayed in the display of the Corolla S combination meter. The Corolla’s Sport mode was developed and evaluated on roads within the key global markets to help ensure a more energetic drive across a broad range of conditions. The base model Corolla CE is offered with a 4-speed automatic transmission or a 6-speed manual transmission. The 6-speed manual is also available in the Corolla S.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm not super excited about a CVT but I don't really know how to drive manual. I'm hoping that the CVT is a good one and lets you feel the shift between gears.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It will only take one day of driving a manual car to feel it out. After that you won't want to drive anything else. Much more enjoyable IMO.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It will only take one day of driving a manual car to feel it out. After that you won't want to drive anything else. Much more enjoyable IMO.
This is true.

My experience was just that my first time driving a manual transmission vehicle.

Getting a feel for the clutch is important, don't want to keep on stalling.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'd like to learn how to drive one, but I'm not sure I would want to own one, at least not with a car like the iM. Maybe in a little roadster or something like that.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd like to learn how to drive one, but I'm not sure I would want to own one, at least not with a car like the iM. Maybe in a little roadster or something like that.
that's the best way to go about it
not everyone loves driving a manual so much that they can do it 24/7 365, having it in a car made for fun like a Miata is preferred and what manuals will be limited too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I suspect I'll go with the CVT if I buy the iM. I much prefer a manual transmission, and it wouldn't even be a contest if I didn't live in the DC metro area. But traffic around here is soul-sucking, and you spend so much time crawling and jumping from one light to the next one that an automatic makes life so much easier. But if I test-drive the 6MT and I like it, who knows...and I'm glad they're offering hill-start assist on the iM, unlike the Corolla. It's not a huge deal, but it's good insurance given how people like to ride your bumper in DC.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Anyone with the CVT wish they went with a six speed?
I got the CVT. My previous car was a manual.

Manual has the definitive advantage of launching from a stop. I suppose you could also launch the CVT but I haven't tried and don't expect it to be as good as the manual anyway.

The CVT shifts very fast. Going through the gears is like an F1 car but without the paddles (this car would be awesome with paddles). So once you're going there's no way the manual can keep up - upshifting and downshifting through corners.

If you want to drag race go with the manual. If you want to road race go with the CVT.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Funny, this is playing out like a poll you'd find on a BMW or Audi forum, both transmissions are just about tied with CVT falling one point back.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I cant drive manual because I have bad anxiety attacks. I tried learning a few times but every time I freaked out and had to stop. When I got my iM my dad showed me how to drive it in M mode and it was a whole lot easier and enjoyable for some one like me because I didnt have to worry about the clutch or stalling out at a red light or other issues you deal with when driving a manual. Now (every now and then) I throw it in M mode and try my hand at shifting manually and yeah it is pretty fun especially with my 8" shifter, lol.
:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
exactly, thats why were seeing the rise of DCT in performance cars. clutches are intimidating, and DCTS lower the barriers to entry...

·
Registered
363 Posts
exactly, thats why were seeing the rise of DCT in performance cars. clutches are intimidating, and DCTS lower the barriers to entry...
Fuel economy and also the autonomous vehicle tech are some things also that play into the bigger game plan for the industry. Manuals just don't make sense for the high volume mainstream vehicles of the future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know what the transmission code is for the 6 speed manual in the iM? I'm pretty sure it's on the sticker in the drivers side door place. I would check myself but mine is a CVT.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts