Reactions: davect01

·
Registered
447 Posts
Reactions: ARG05

·
Registered
447 Posts
Personally think that the new model doesn't look as aggressive... Toyota went backwards but right now Toyota is in bed with Mazda so that makes sense the mazda 2 look.
Very true. I saw a new SE last week and side by side with my iM I much prefer the looks of the iM. It's much more aggressive looking then the new HB inside and out.

The interior is boring in comparison to my iM.

I hate the design and look of the stereo.

Even the engine bay looks ugly. The extra 30 HP would be nice but not at the expense of all of the other negatives. A new model doesn't always mean it's better.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like new design, especially LED headlights and extra horses. I really dislike new stereo system, since it is impossible to upgrade. It was probably the main reason why I got my iM: I could install a 2-DIN stereo. My local dealers have a few SE models, 1 with a manual. I will go test drive it, but I would prefer to wait until XSE 6MT start showing up.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I like new design, especially LED headlights and extra horses. I really dislike new stereo system, since it is impossible to upgrade. It was probably the main reason why I got my iM: I could install a 2-DIN stereo. My local dealers have a few SE models, 1 with a manual. I will go test drive it, but I would prefer to wait until XSE 6MT start showing up.
I also love the new headlights and the front design is okay. The extra power would be nice but it's not enough extra power to be a huge issue since I like everything else on the iM more.

I still wish 2019 looked like the concept...

I will probably just save money to swap headlights like the one below and call it good
I so agree. I love the design of the concept. Why couldn't they have made it look like that, such a killer look. That look with 200+ turbo HP option would be amazing.

Where can we get those headlights? Those look great!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry but I am not going to sell my IM for an extra 30HP and a 4 Cylinder Camry motor...
Are they switching away from the 2ZR platform?
I havent looked into it other than the concept art. That huge front grill makes me excited in ways i cant describe, but other than that it looks bulky on youtube reviews, its a little wider and a little longer too. The small hatchback zip-around look my 2016 has is something i love.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Are they switching away from the 2ZR platform?
I havent looked into it other than the concept art. That huge front grill makes me excited in ways i cant describe, but other than that it looks bulky on youtube reviews, its a little wider and a little longer too. The small hatchback zip-around look my 2016 has is something i love.
YES, very different engine. 2.0L 168 HP

And I agree. I like the front, but the rest, nope.

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
YES, very different engine. 2.0L 168 HP

And I agree. I like the front, but the rest, nope.
The front is the best part. Not a fan of the rest when I saw it in person.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
34 Posts
Toyota is in bed with Mazda right now so that explains the Mazda styling being brought to the new Corolla HB. Also a brand new Chassis as well as a new transmission both Auto and Manual.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I was at the local Toyota dealer today getting my 1 year oil change and check up on my 2017 Corolla iM. I was walking around and noticed 2 new 2019 Corolla HB sitting with the 2018 Corolla iM's. There was one SE in Flame Blue and an XSE in black.

Still not a fan of the Flame Blue but in person I like it even less I noticed today.

I did notice though that I like the black/dark grey trim around the front grill on the SE model more than the chrome trim on the XSE.

The SE has a place for the fog lights, it looks like a pop out piece.

The slope of the hatchback though is much better on the iM. It looks better and provides much more space inside.

This blue Camry XSE was a beautiful blue compared to the 19 Corolla HB in Flame Blue.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I checked out the 2019 Corolla hatchback in-person yesterday (both XSE & SE), while waiting for my regular 40K maintenance service to be completed on my 2015 Yaris SE.

Front seats are comfortable & stylish. Doesn't feel as roomy/open as my little Yaris, due to the way the cockpit sort of wraps around the driver, and the ceiling is lower. Not bad - just a different feel. Larger (rotund/stocky) people may find it sort of cramped, but it was okay for me (normal/lean build). Even at 6ft2in tall my Yaris ceiling seems unnaturally high (& probably why the front windshield is so **** tall), so I actually like the lower ceiling on the new Corolla better. Interior is a bit more 'deluxe' than a Yaris SE, not surprisingly, but still not a fan of the jetting touchscreen integration into the dash, nor the look/design of the air vents in general. Inside doors/design are nice & the extended handlebar is much better than the inside hard-plastic handle/grip on the Yaris door. Front doors on the Corolla feels strangely elongated for a 4-door car & easy to bang into something when you open them, but perhaps just because I am used to the shorter, lighter doors on my Yaris 4-door. Center console/armrest, and more storage in general is nice on the new Corolla.

Exterior doesn't look any better in-person unfortunately (whereas the iM looks much better in person than in most pics). In-fact, it looks worse. Weird, bulging hoodline. Ugly iA-inspired front grill/bumper design, & unattractive shaped headlights. Rear bumper & side skirt pieces have a lightweight, thin, cheap, loose feel to them (the iM felt like it had better materials quality in this regard). The chrome-plated plastic fake exhaust port inserts are just laughably tacky on this car (/facepalm). Hyper-aggressive rear hatch slope is also unattractive (to me), but it is pretty cool that the sculpted hatch is made out of lightweight ceramic instead of metal. XSE wheels are a really nice design, but I wish they were the exact same thing in 17" instead, with tires that better balance sportiness with practicality (45-50 series tires). The 16" wheels on the SE Corolla hatch still look a tad too small for that size car (reminds me of the small wheels & skinny tires the base Matrix had back in the day, which ruined the entire look of the vehicle). Those 16" SE wheels would look great on a Yaris though if they weren't 5-lug wheels.

The 'Scarlet' 2019 Corolla hatch looked to me in-person (outside, in bright morning AZ sunlight) more like a dark/burnt orange-rust color than red. It wasn't as attractive as pictures & videos I have seen would suggest. Not a fan of the 'Oxide Bronze' color either. A dark slate blue or grey would have been nicer. The super-tacky, pimpy 'Blue Flame' color is by far the worst, however. Something only a teenager or 'LOOK AT ME!!!' narcissist could love, lol.

All in all, except for the new, more-innovative engine/CVT design of the new 2019 Corolla hatch, I actually prefer the outgoing Corolla iM more in pretty much every other way. Heck, I would even prefer a black 2018+ gen version Yaris SE instead - which is what I will end up getting eventually, if not a lightly-used Barcelona Red iM or new TNGA 2021 Yaris SE (assuming I like it, or they haven't canned the Yaris in the US market by then). Either way, I have 2 years or so to decide probably, since I really enjoy my current manual 5-spd Yaris SE daily driver. Smaller cars rock (to me), which is why bigger cars like the Camry, Accord etc. just don't appeal to me.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I checked out the 2019 Corolla hatchback in-person yesterday (both XSE & SE), while waiting for my regular 40K maintenance service to be completed on my 2015 Yaris SE.

Front seats are comfortable & stylish. Doesn't feel as roomy/open as my little Yaris, due to the way the cockpit sort of wraps around the driver, and the ceiling is lower. Not bad - just a different feel. Larger (rotund/stocky) people may find it sort of cramped, but it was okay for me (normal/lean build). Even at 6ft2in tall my Yaris ceiling seems unnaturally high (& probably why the front windshield is so **** tall), so I actually like the lower ceiling on the new Corolla better. Interior is a bit more 'deluxe' than a Yaris SE, not surprisingly, but still not a fan of the jetting touchscreen integration into the dash, nor the look/design of the air vents in general. Inside doors/design are nice & the extended handlebar is much better than the inside hard-plastic handle/grip on the Yaris door. Front doors on the Corolla feels strangely elongated for a 4-door car & easy to bang into something when you open them, but perhaps just because I am used to the shorter, lighter doors on my Yaris 4-door. Center console/armrest, and more storage in general is nice on the new Corolla.

Exterior doesn't look any better in-person unfortunately (whereas the iM looks much better in person than in most pics). In-fact, it looks worse. Weird, bulging hoodline. Ugly iA-inspired front grill/bumper design, & unattractive shaped headlights. Rear bumper & side skirt pieces have a lightweight, thin, cheap, loose feel to them (the iM felt like it had better materials quality in this regard). The chrome-plated plastic fake exhaust port inserts are just laughably tacky on this car (/facepalm). Hyper-aggressive rear hatch slope is also unattractive (to me), but it is pretty cool that the sculpted hatch is made out of lightweight ceramic instead of metal. XSE wheels are a really nice design, but I wish they were the exact same thing in 17" instead, with tires that better balance sportiness with practicality (45-50 series tires). The 16" wheels on the SE Corolla hatch still look a tad too small for that size car (reminds me of the small wheels & skinny tires the base Matrix had back in the day, which ruined the entire look of the vehicle). Those 16" SE wheels would look great on a Yaris though if they weren't 5-lug wheels.

The 'Scarlet' 2019 Corolla hatch looked to me in-person (outside, in bright morning AZ sunlight) more like a dark/burnt orange-rust color than red. It wasn't as attractive as pictures & videos I have seen would suggest. Not a fan of the 'Oxide Bronze' color either. A dark slate blue or grey would have been nicer. The super-tacky, pimpy 'Blue Flame' color is by far the worst, however. Something only a teenager or 'LOOK AT ME!!!' narcissist could love, lol.

All in all, except for the new, more-innovative engine/CVT design of the new 2019 Corolla hatch, I actually prefer the outgoing Corolla iM more in pretty much every other way. Heck, I would even prefer a black 2018+ gen version Yaris SE instead - which is what I will end up getting eventually, if not a lightly-used Barcelona Red iM or new TNGA 2021 Yaris SE (assuming I like it, or they haven't canned the Yaris in the US market by then). Either way, I have 2 years or so to decide probably, since I really enjoy my current manual 5-spd Yaris SE daily driver. Smaller cars rock (to me), which is why bigger cars like the Camry, Accord etc. just don't appeal to me.
Same thoughts. Give me the iM body with the new engine

·
Registered
447 Posts

Same thoughts. Give me the iM body with the new engine
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that feels this way. I'm tired of a lot of people acting like I'm crazy because I don't like the new design more and that the Blue Flame color isn't the best color to ever be on a car. about the only thing that I do like is the headlights, the design is very neat looking to me. Other then that I love the design of the iM inside and out 10x more. Now f I could get the new engine and 6MT in the iM it would be perfect.

Curious to see if anyone tries to do this swap down the road! Until then it will be interesting to see what benefits the Orange Virus ECU tune will provide power wise. It could easily produce an extra 30 HP which would put it at the same power as the new 19 HB.

Reactions: davect01
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.