Scion iM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been having this issue ever since I switched over from iOS to Android. Whenever I make a call either through my Google Pixel 2 (I have also tried this with an original Google Pixel XL with the same results), my stock headunit will display the call as "Private Call" and won't list the phone number. The contacts list and everything else show up just fine (sms, contacts, favorite, call history, etc...). But whenever a call is placed, it doesn't list either the number nor the contact name, just "Private Call" (also does not show the call time/duration).

When a call is received, the contact name and number do show up as they are supposed to.

I am currently with Verizon, and have contacted them, Toyota, and Google regarding this issue.

Toyota told me that the Pixel 2 is "too new" for the head unit, thus why it doesn't display correctly. I did tell them I tried it with a regular Pixel XL (which is on their supported phone list for this vehicle) with the same results and they didn't have any answer for me.

Verizon answered me exactly how I would expect which is to talk to Google and Toyota.

Google tried the hardest to help me, with spending around an hour or so toying around with different phone settings and even doing a factory reset, none of which ended up working.

I wanted to see if anyone has had this issue as well as it is quite annoying.

Below is the picture of the issue. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sorry, no answer from me. But that's why I prefer iPhones, they usually just work.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sorry, no answer from me. But that's why I prefer iPhones, they usually just work.
I was going to say the same thing. I've never had issues with my iPhone so why change? I see all of these weird issues with other phones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies, just saw them. Had some help on Toyota Nation, but to no avail did it work. Weird thing is, the phone works perfectly fine on both a 2017 Camry SE a 2012 Prius II. Of course they have the different units, but just a weird issue. I completely agree that iPhone's I've never had an issue with. The only reason I switched was due to hearing great things about the Pixel 2 (I was an Android user way back in the day around the original Galaxy and Galaxy 2), but switched to Apple around when the 4's were released. Also I got a deal with some trading in some old Android phones that my family had laying around that made my Pixel 2 cost around $280 after those were traded in due to a promo. I'll probably just switch back to Apple once I have this paid off.

Absolutely loving the iM, but kinda wished they used an Entune unit and not this "lesser" version display audio unit. No lock options, no headlight options, very lacking compared to other Toyota's I've driven and owned (2016 Corolla S Premium, 2016 RAV 4 LE, 2017 Camry SE). The Corolla S Premium had the nav unit while the other two had more basic Entune units, but still a lot more options than this vehicle.

On a side note, there is a setting called "vehicle settings" that has the iM, FRS (86), C-HR, and "Other" listed. Do any of you know what this is for if I mess around with it? The only thing I noticed was the audio seems a bit different (meant for different speaker set up in those vehicles?)

Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was going to say the same thing. I've never had issues with my iPhone so why change? I see all of these weird issues with other phones.
Never had any problems with my Android phones. A quick shows plenty oh iPhone issues:

I have an iPhone 6 and have read every manual there is. I have not received one text, and have checked and rechecked every setting in both my phone and the headunit. I gave up about a week ago. I have zero issues calling/receiving calls.

it depends on your phone. when i had the factory radio still, my android (Samsung s6 edge) would show txts, incoming and outgoing. but if my wife used her iphone, txts feature would not work

Messaging settings are a bit tricky on the iphone, but is doable. I have mines all set up and working, only that I received messages between startup and shutdown. You can't really look at your full history on the display. I'll create a guide for iphone users

I got my very first scion iM, on February 15! And I'm in love!!!! But I notice that when my iPhone connects with the system the pictures of my contacts don't show up. Any ideas?

I'm having a problem with my iPhone and ios 10. I know this OS is fairly new so bugs are bound to pop up but has anyone noticed how audio over bluetooth is on a 5 to 10 second delay. I'll hear the audio out of my phone for a few seconds then it connects to the car. I'm sure this is because of the update and wanted to see if anyone else has this problem and if they have a fix.

Thanks for the input. After months of trying stuff I have discovered that the stock head unit is not compatible with ios 10. I have spent over an our talking to Apple and they don't have any solutions, and we tried a lot, other then go to the dealership and have them help me. I did notice that when I took a cross country trip with my brother his android phone had the ability to get text messages to the radio so I was a bit pissed when I saw that. Guessing I need to either swap out my head unit for one with Apple carplay / Android auto if I want better functionally or continue to use the USB cable to work around this problem.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Never had any problems with my Android phones. A quick shows plenty oh iPhone issues:

I have an iPhone 6 and have read every manual there is. I have not received one text, and have checked and rechecked every setting in both my phone and the headunit. I gave up about a week ago. I have zero issues calling/receiving calls.

it depends on your phone. when i had the factory radio still, my android (Samsung s6 edge) would show txts, incoming and outgoing. but if my wife used her iphone, txts feature would not work

Messaging settings are a bit tricky on the iphone, but is doable. I have mines all set up and working, only that I received messages between startup and shutdown. You can't really look at your full history on the display. I'll create a guide for iphone users

I got my very first scion iM, on February 15! And I'm in love!!!! But I notice that when my iPhone connects with the system the pictures of my contacts don't show up. Any ideas?

I'm having a problem with my iPhone and ios 10. I know this OS is fairly new so bugs are bound to pop up but has anyone noticed how audio over bluetooth is on a 5 to 10 second delay. I'll hear the audio out of my phone for a few seconds then it connects to the car. I'm sure this is because of the update and wanted to see if anyone else has this problem and if they have a fix.

Thanks for the input. After months of trying stuff I have discovered that the stock head unit is not compatible with ios 10. I have spent over an our talking to Apple and they don't have any solutions, and we tried a lot, other then go to the dealership and have them help me. I did notice that when I took a cross country trip with my brother his android phone had the ability to get text messages to the radio so I was a bit pissed when I saw that. Guessing I need to either swap out my head unit for one with Apple carplay / Android auto if I want better functionally or continue to use the USB cable to work around this problem.
I don't get the message? Is it supposed to show iPhone is having issues too? Sure, it is not perfect. But compared to Android, iPhone usually just works and achieving compatibility is much easier with an iPhone. I had no issues with my iPhone and my OEM Pioneer unit. Now since I got aftermarket Pioneer unit, I also have no issues. Bluetooth works. My phone calls go through, everything connects well. Bluetooth streaming works. I have absolutely no complaints.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't get the message? Is it supposed to show iPhone is having issues too? Sure, it is not perfect. But compared to Android, iPhone usually just works and achieving compatibility is much easier with an iPhone. I had no issues with my iPhone and my OEM Pioneer unit. Now since I got aftermarket Pioneer unit, I also have no issues. Bluetooth works. My phone calls go through, everything connects well. Bluetooth streaming works. I have absolutely no complaints.
Not sure "just works" can be said when a new version of it doesn't work with existing hardware. Planned obsolescence is great for the company but not the end user.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.