Scion iM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did anyone test drive new Honda Civic hatch with 6MT? My local dealers just got a few of them. I really want to go test drive it, but I am scared I will like it too much and then I will hate it when I try to modify stock stereo system (since decent audio system is only offered on a Touring trim, but Touring trim is not even an option for a hatchback).

2018 Honda Civic Type R hatch will be out around summer time 2017. I will definitely test drive it, but pricing will be around $35k+. That money can buy Lexus NX or Acura RDX (new body will be out for 2018). Type R will be a beast though. Expected 340hp out of 2.0 liter turbo engine with 6MT.

The New Civic Type R | Honda

Attachments

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Really ugly looking, I HATE that overbite thing they having going on at Honda, but at least this one is black.

Probably is gonna be a popular ride to mod.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am so interested in the new generation civic.... even the EX-turbo models.
Lately, I've been so sick of the slowness of our iM's... Perhaps I'm having some buyers remorse? LOL

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have seen the civic hatchback on the auto show. In my opinion, our iM is more of a hatchback than the civic hatchbacks. Our cars are has more room for passengers. The only difference is that 1.5 turbo engine. If toyota releases the 1.4 turbo version (AURIS RS) of our iM here in the US, those would sell like pancakes.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I am so interested in the new generation civic.... even the EX-turbo models.
Lately, I've been so sick of the slowness of our iM's... Perhaps I'm having some buyers remorse? LOL
I think iM just absolutely has to be purchased ONLY with a manual transmission! If you buy iM with a CVT you are just buying point A to point B car, it's terrible, even with that Sport mode. It took some time adjusting to iM's weak engine, but now it actually drives fine since I get to rev the engine and manual makes it so much better. Yes, it does take time to accelerate and I need to downshift way more often compared to 2016 Accord 6MT that I traded in.

When 2018 Civic Type R comes out, I will be test driving it on the first day. I am not buying it unless they finally put a better audio system inside or Metra makes a 2-Din upgrade kit. I would be totally happy with Civic SI, but I want a hatchback.

Another option would be 2018 Accord 6MT, again if they fix that terrible audio system.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I have seen the civic hatchback on the auto show. In my opinion, our iM is more of a hatchback than the civic hatchbacks. Our cars are has more room for passengers. The only difference is that 1.5 turbo engine. If toyota releases the 1.4 turbo version (AURIS RS) of our iM here in the US, those would sell like pancakes.
The 2.0L 200HP from the FR-S would be awesome :)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I think iM just absolutely has to be purchased ONLY with a manual transmission! If you buy iM with a CVT you are just buying point A to point B car, it's terrible, even with that Sport mode. It took some time adjusting to iM's weak engine, but now it actually drives fine since I get to rev the engine and manual makes it so much better. Yes, it does take time to accelerate and I need to downshift way more often compared to 2016 Accord 6MT that I traded in.

When 2018 Civic Type R comes out, I will be test driving it on the first day. I am not buying it unless they finally put a better audio system inside or Metra makes a 2-Din upgrade kit. I would be totally happy with Civic SI, but I want a hatchback.

Another option would be 2018 Accord 6MT, again if they fix that terrible audio system.
It's just fine as a commuter car, I never expected more.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^This! Who is making decisions on what cars to sell in the US? I don't understand those people. Since Honda does so well with Civic SI, Toyota also did well with Matrix S or whatever it was called. Many other manufacturers have powerful options for their cars, like there is a Nissan Sentra SR turbo or Ford Focus RS/ST.

·
Registered
101 Posts
^This! Who is making decisions on what cars to sell in the US? I don't understand those people. Since Honda does so well with Civic SI, Toyota also did well with Matrix S or whatever it was called. Many other manufacturers have powerful options for their cars, like there is a Nissan Sentra SR turbo or Ford Focus RS/ST.
Those decisions are market and data driven. Also for engines, it may be depending on emissions data.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I actually drove a new 2017 Civic LX hatch with CVT (my friend got one). It drives nice. I love its trunk space, way way larger than our iM, especially with rear sears folded. It is a Honda, so it feels sporty and fun. But things I did not like:

Seats. They are super low to the ground and instead of our minivan-like seating up front you get to sit much lower, so getting in and out gets complicated. It gets even worse with rear seats, they seem to be way too deep and low.

Space. New Civic feels very tight up front, iM just feels like a minivan and Civic feels like a sport (-ish) small car.

Trunk floor. It is way too low as well. Loading/unloading is not fun, but it looks like it will fit way more stuff inside compared to our iM.

I drove it literally around the block, so I cannot point other things. In general, Civic "feels" larger, but it does have many drawbacks. I do not feel like trading in for a Civic at this point.

Other decent options seem to be:

2017 Mazda CX-5
2018 GMC Terrain (arriving in August 2017)
2018 Acura RDX (TBA)
2018 Honda Accord (TBA)
2017 Honda Pilot LX on sale - just $27k without useless money-wasting AWD.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I actually drove a new 2017 Civic LX hatch with CVT (my friend got one). It drives nice. I love its trunk space, way way larger than our iM, especially with rear sears folded. It is a Honda, so it feels sporty and fun. But things I did not like:

Seats. They are super low to the ground and instead of our minivan-like seating up front you get to sit much lower, so getting in and out gets complicated. It gets even worse with rear seats, they seem to be way too deep and low.

Space. New Civic feels very tight up front, iM just feels like a minivan and Civic feels like a sport (-ish) small car.

Trunk floor. It is way too low as well. Loading/unloading is not fun, but it looks like it will fit way more stuff inside compared to our iM.

I drove it literally around the block, so I cannot point other things. In general, Civic "feels" larger, but it does have many drawbacks. I do not feel like trading in for a Civic at this point.

Other decent options seem to be:

2017 Mazda CX-5
2018 GMC Terrain (arriving in August 2017)
2018 Acura RDX (TBA)
2018 Honda Accord (TBA)
2017 Honda Pilot LX on sale - just $27k without useless money-wasting AWD.
I'm sure it will sell well.

I for one can not get past that ugly overbite of a front grill. Seriously, who thought that was a good design choice?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I find the latest Civic design to be a huge eyesore. That rules it out for me, regardless.

Reactions: SuperchargedMR2

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wanted to test drive new Civic Type R, but there are almost none available in DC area. Most Civic Type R's get extra $10k dealer markup, which is INSANE! Most people that drove it say it is nothing special and an almost silent exhaust, which is a big disappointment for a sports car.

Civic Type R sticker is $35k, which is already outrageous for a small car. With extra markup it goes to $45k. You can get a slightly used BMW M4 for that money! Brand new 2018 Acura MDX with all wheel drive as well or top of the line Acura TLX with sexy red leather seats. Wow, I just don't understand those people buying Type R. At the end of the day it is still a Civic.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I wanted to test drive new Civic Type R, but there are almost none available in DC area. Most Civic Type R's get extra $10k dealer markup, which is INSANE! Most people that drove it say it is nothing special and an almost silent exhaust, which is a big disappointment for a sports car.

Civic Type R sticker is $35k, which is already outrageous for a small car. With extra markup it goes to $45k. You can get a slightly used BMW M4 for that money! Brand new 2018 Acura MDX with all wheel drive as well or top of the line Acura TLX with sexy red leather seats. Wow, I just don't understand those people buying Type R. At the end of the day it is still a Civic.
That's the problem. It may be one of the fastest small front wheel drive hatches out there, but for the price, nope.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts