Scion iM Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We’ve seen a Scion iA decked out with a animated LED front bumper bar, color changing LED headlights and animated rear taillights. Now it’s the Scion iM’s turn to be illuminated for the Consumer Electronics Show. Pioneer Car Audio teamed up with Five Axis Design (the guys who built the Scion iM concept model) to bring you this customized iM showcased last Friday at CES.

A strip of acrylic color changing light spans the length of the rear diffuser area and it was apparently custom made from scratch for the iM. Not stopping there, they decided to install underglows to the body to match the bumper.

I couldn’t find and explanation as to what exactly was done to the front but from the few pictures gathered and examined, it seems like the main grille area may have been modified with a similar LED front bumper bar that’s found in the iA but without the animation function. The piece of plastic located above the blue headlights has also been switched out for a color changing light strip.

Rounding off this electronics orientated Scion iM mod list is a set of amps installed into the trunk courtesy of Pioneer which was also lined with LED lights. Unfortunately the person who worked on the installation can’t recall what sub model was used so we’ll have to admire and guess for now.

Like it? Hate it? Think these mods are something you’d add to your Scion iM?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like the lights behind the grilles and in the headlights, not sure about the rest. That audio setup is a different story, that is sick!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Aside from the puddle lights, I hate everything else, actually even the color of the puddle lights are horrible. Crystal white puddle lights are all I would ever want from this. However it is a good showcase for where and how lighting can be used for a range of customers.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Remember that the lights change color, so while they are rainbow here, they can actually be whatever color you choose. it is cheesy, but I think it's cool to see this type of lighting technology and imagine how it could be used in more a conservative and tasteful way.

·
Registered
661 Posts
i like the idea of the LEDs behind the front bottom corner grilles... might want to incorporate that idea later down the line :)
Mercedes does something similar already, so who knows, maybe we can see that make its way to Lexus, Scion and Toyota.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm not even a fan of it when Mercedes does it though. With design now marrying form and function, what purpose does this extra lighting in the grille serve?

·
Registered
661 Posts
I'm not even a fan of it when Mercedes does it though. With design now marrying form and function, what purpose does this extra lighting in the grille serve?
Purely cosmetic, no function served. Light isn't directed anywhere with the same though put into headlights, fog lights, turn signals, etc.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Not a fan. No purpose. Just light for the sake of it. Way better things to add to the car that actually do something useful.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Everyone has their own preference to what they want to do to their cars. Some like going cosmetic, some just functional and those that like a mix of both. I'm a bit of the both category.

Puddle lights like what's on this VIP Lexus GS on the IM will look great:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Anyone who doesn't want to go for that tuner car look with puddle lights under the side skirt can consider getting one powerful puddle light under the side mirrors:

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm not a fan of this. Scions are affordable cars and adding more and more stuff to them just makes them seem cheap to me.
To each their own. I think you can do a lot of gaudy things to a car. Both of these (and I know the owners so I might be bias) are done up tastefully and I think the puddles in the rockers add to the VIP look for these.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts