• 1 Post By Ayroby

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-06-2018, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2018 IM owner looking for snow tire recommendations

Hello folks,

I just recently purchased a new 2018 Corolla IM.
Absolutely love the car and its handling.
I live up in in Ontario Canada near Toronto in which our Winters can get pretty sketchy.
Im looking at buying snow tires for the vehicle which will include a new set of rims.
My selection for rims would be 16 but not sure on what tires would best suit the type of winter weather we experience here.
With Black Friday coming up, Im hoping on getting some good deals.
My wife will be driving the IM for the winter so I want to make sure she is safe.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with a Winter tires and what I should look at regarding tire size / rim size??

Thanks very much in advance,

Pinit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-11-2018, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Talking

I M Groot. I will be getting a set of winters before our trip to Winnipeg from BC this Christmas. I haven't settled on brand yet, but it'll probably be the skinniest studded snows I can find. My last set worked great on my Prius and two Yarises ( Yari ? ) before. Skinny means more pounds per square inch on the ground which means more 'bite'.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-22-2018, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
I have a new set of Michelin X-Ice 3 and I've got them on several of my other cars. They have proven to be excellent winter tires. I used them on my 2009 Corolla S but I only had 1 winter on them so I'm going to use them on my 2017 Corolla iM instead. They are 205/50R17 and worked great. My only issue is the wheels they are on are 5x100 bolt pattern. I need to find some adapters. What is the bore size on the iM so I can get some hub centric adapters. My wheels are from an FR-S so they have a Subaru offset so I have to use adapters.

89 Supercharged White MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S TURBO CSM 5MT
17 Corolla iM CSM 6MT/ 17 RAV4 XLE MGM
95 Previa S/C White AT/06 Scion xB MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-28-2018, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Nokian Hakkepalita R3, best snow tires on the market hands down. Tested by multiple outlets to be the best snow tire.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-06-2019, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I have a set of BFGoodrich G-force comp 2 hyper performance all season tires on my iM and have used them for 2 winters up in Big Bear (California Mountains) they work amazing in light snow, wet surfaces and even deep snow (deep for a fwd car) 5-6”! They still have 70 percent tread after 30,000 miles and I drive up and down the mountain constantly! Worth the investment by far! Look at the reviews on tire rack!

-Kammer
post #6 of 7 Old 04-09-2020, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kammer View Post
I have a set of BFGoodrich G-force comp 2 hyper performance all season tires on my iM and have used them for 2 winters up in Big Bear (California Mountains) they work amazing in light snow, wet surfaces and even deep snow (deep for a fwd car) 5-6! They still have 70 percent tread after 30,000 miles and I drive up and down the mountain constantly! Worth the investment by far! Look at the reviews on tire rack!
Those won't even come close to performing like a real winter tire. Once you use a winter tire exclusively during winter months you will never use an A/S tire again. The braking and steering differences are huge.

89 Supercharged White MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S TURBO CSM 5MT
17 Corolla iM CSM 6MT/ 17 RAV4 XLE MGM
95 Previa S/C White AT/06 Scion xB MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl

post #7 of 7 Old 04-09-2020, 06:19 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I use the Continental WinterContact

Very nice, 3 winters in them in Minnesota snow.
Never have had an issue.

Braking and stopping are always superior compared to an A/S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
davect01 likes this.

-17 IM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion iM Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page