13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 Old 12-24-2016, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Replacement Tires

Hi,

I see my Toyo OEM tires are starting to show signs of wear. I hope to get another year out of them before I get a set of new tires. Therefore, it would be great to have a general topic about alternatives to Toyo.

I think our OEM Toyo tires are great, they handle well and look good. I am thinking about going with Goodyear or Hankook just to try something new. I had Cooper tires twice on my previous cars and both times there were very good.

There are probably many people here that replaced their rims and tires, so it would be great to get some feedback, such as:

- Tire name, size, miles driven, impressions

- Pictures

Current:
2018 Buick Regal Sportback FWD

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 09-12-2017, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

I researched cheaper replacement options for all-weather tires in OEM size. My search is now narrowed down to a few options: Cooper Ultra CS5, Nexen N'Priz, Uniroyal Tiger Paw GTZ, Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2/Kinergy GT, General Altimax/G-Max, Nitto Neo Gen/Motivo, Toyo Versado.

All of them seem to be good options, all of them are $80-100 per tire, Toyo Versado is $130. Hankooks are now made in the U.S. Nitto is owned by Toyo, also made in the U.S. Nokian tires is going to build a U.S. factory as well.

Best prices for tires with free delivery: Amazon and Walmart.

Our stock Toyo Proxes are great. They are getting very slippery when it rains though. It is truly the only reason I want them replaced. They are around $120 per tire on Amazon.

Nitto seems to get the same bad hype about being slippery in wet conditions and faster wear issues. Reviews seem to be OK about all of the other tires.

Current:

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX

Last edited by have2ride; 09-12-2017 at 02:48 AM.
post #3 of 70 Old 09-12-2017, 05:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Garage
I have had great results with Discount Tire Direct

post #4 of 70 Old 09-15-2017, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davect01 View Post
+1

They always have the best price and service and can get just about any brand of tire. And if you buy when they have a sale like they just did over Labor Day you can get back a $160 rebate.

Just don't ever buy cheap, crappy tires. The tires are the only thing touching the ground and can make a huge difference in braking distance, steering and handling. If you live in an area that gets a winter with temps that stay under 45F you are much better off getting a set of winter tires and a good set of high performance summer tires or high performance A/S tires for the other 3 seasons.
stvotw likes this.

89 Supercharged White MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S TURBO CSM 5MT
17 Corolla iM CSM 6MT/ 17 RAV4 XLE MGM
95 Previa S/C White AT/06 Scion xB MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 70 Old 09-15-2017, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedMR2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davect01 View Post
+1

They always have the best price and service and can get just about any brand of tire. And if you buy when they have a sale like they just did over Labor Day you can get back a $160 rebate.

Just don't ever buy cheap, crappy tires. The tires are the only thing touching the ground and can make a huge difference in braking distance, steering and handling. If you live in an area that gets a winter with temps that stay under 45F you are much better off getting a set of winter tires and a good set of high performance summer tires or high performance A/S tires for the other 3 seasons.
Totally agree
stvotw likes this.
post #6 of 70 Old 09-23-2017, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

I did some more research. It looks like tire market is owned by just a few big players:

Michelin (Uniroyal, BFGoodrich)
Continental (General Tire)
Bridgestone (Firestone)
Goodyear (Dunlop, Kelly)

Mid-size players:
Cooper
Nokian Tyres
Toyo (Nitto) - our OEM tire
Yokohama
Sumitomo (Falken, Ohtsu)
Nexen
Hankook
Kumho

Cheaper tires: Nexen and Hankook are definitely great choices as well as Kumho. Falken is also praised by many reviewers. Cooper Zeon RS-G1 seems to be an all-around champion in performance category and it costs around $108 per tire. However, I want to stick to something more mainstream and stay in the medium price range. So my 3 top picks right now:

1. BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S All-Season 225/45ZR17/XL 94W

2. Toyo Versado Noir Touring 225/45-17 94H

3. General G-Max AS-05 Performance Radial Tire - 225/45R17 91W

My goal is to get more comfort and better wet traction, I don't care as much about cornering. So far Toyo Versado Noir seems to be the best pick for comfort.

Current:

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX

Last edited by have2ride; 09-23-2017 at 05:25 AM.
post #7 of 70 Old 10-31-2017, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Amazon had a great price on Toyo Versado Noir combined with free shipping, they were around $114 per tire. I ordered 4 of them. Since they are H-rated Costco refused to install them, they told me I need to have V-rated or higher since that's the speed of our stock tires. I will be going to another shop some time this weekend to get them installed. H-rated Versado Noir comes with 75,000 mile warranty.

Current:

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX

Last edited by have2ride; 10-31-2017 at 10:37 PM.
post #8 of 70 Old 11-02-2017, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by have2ride View Post
Amazon had a great price on Toyo Versado Noir combined with free shipping, they were around $114 per tire. I ordered 4 of them. Since they are H-rated Costco refused to install them, they told me I need to have V-rated or higher since that's the speed of our stock tires. I will be going to another shop some time this weekend to get them installed. H-rated Versado Noir comes with 75,000 mile warranty.
I love Amazon but buying tires from the gives you no good and quick way for support should you need it. If you buy from a large chain like Discount Tire they have stores all over the place should you need service. They will also beat any other price including Amazon! I've used them for the past 35 years and received nothing but excellent service and always the best price.

post #9 of 70 Old 11-02-2017, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedMR2 View Post
I love Amazon but buying tires from the gives you no good and quick way for support should you need it. If you buy from a large chain like Discount Tire they have stores all over the place should you need service. They will also beat any other price including Amazon! I've used them for the past 35 years and received nothing but excellent service and always the best price.
I agree, I did risk it when I ordered on Amazon. There are two issues with Discount Tire:

1. They do not sell Toyo tires at all

2. They charge for shipping and it is not cheap.

As far as the tires go. I had them installed today at my local Firestone. Total install was around $108, tax included. My first impressions: they are much less noisy than our stock Proxes 4 Plus B, they ride slightly more plush and planted, definitely more smooth. Cornering is somewhat improved, but I can feel a bit of a body roll in the rear. Steering feels super light, possibly because they did not break in yet. Overall they feel like a luxury version of Proxes.

I plan on keeping them. If they last me at least 50,000 miles, I will be happy. The only other tire I was considering recently was Michelin Premier A/S. The best deal for Premiers was my local Costco - $156 per tire with their special discount. Original price on Versado Noir was $138 per tire, I think $114 per tire for Versado Noir was a good deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1604_1.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	440.9 KB
ID:	12874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1605_1.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	367.8 KB
ID:	12882  

Current:

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX

Last edited by have2ride; 11-02-2017 at 11:59 PM.
post #10 of 70 Old 11-03-2017, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by have2ride View Post
I agree, I did risk it when I ordered on Amazon. There are two issues with Discount Tire:

1. They do not sell Toyo tires at all

2. They charge for shipping and it is not cheap.

As far as the tires go. I had them installed today at my local Firestone. Total install was around $108, tax included. My first impressions: they are much less noisy than our stock Proxes 4 Plus B, they ride slightly more plush and planted, definitely more smooth. Cornering is somewhat improved, but I can feel a bit of a body roll in the rear. Steering feels super light, possibly because they did not break in yet. Overall they feel like a luxury version of Proxes.

I plan on keeping them. If they last me at least 50,000 miles, I will be happy. The only other tire I was considering recently was Michelin Premier A/S. The best deal for Premiers was my local Costco - $156 per tire with their special discount. Original price on Versado Noir was $138 per tire, I think $114 per tire for Versado Noir was a good deal.
I'm not a big fan of Toyo tires. I don't think they are nearly as good as they used to be many years ago. There are a lot of higher rated tires I would look at before Toyo.

My local Discount Tires and Discount Tire Direct have never charged me shipping for any tire I've wanted, even if they don't have it in stock and have to order it. Tirerack does but never DT.

I love my Michelin Pilot Super Sport A/S3 as they stick like glue. I've never experienced a tire like this before and they are amazing. The BF Goodrich g-Force Comp 2 A/S also looks like an amazing tire for around what your Toyo tires cost.

Good luck with the new tires. Keep us posted on how you like them.
stvotw likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion iM Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page