Replacement Tires - Page 7 - Scion iM Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 71 Old 02-13-2018, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
I tried Primacy MXM4 and they seem to be an upgraded Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Primacy are even more sporty and agile, while also being more comfortable and way way more quiet. Fuel economy is also a little better over Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Sadly for me, they were still a bit more bumpy than I would prefer them to be. I could not return my set of Primacy tires, so I am selling them.

A set of 4 Michelin Primacy MXM4 225/45R17 91V for sale ($400). I had them for around 300 miles. The closest thing to perfect tires, excellent grip in wet, dry and snow. If you live around VA-MD-PA, I can bring them to you. I can also ship them to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Primacy.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	13706  
IM Matt likes this.

Current:
2018 Buick Regal Sportback FWD

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 02-14-2018, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by have2ride View Post
Yokohama ADVAN Sport mileage. During last few days I drove on the Interstate about 90% of the time. I usually had 33-34 mpg on stock Proxes, Toyo Versado and Nitto Motivo. I still think Yokohamas are excellent tires, but fuel economy will take a huge hit. My math estimates: extra $600-$700 gas expense over the life of the tire. I am not racing or using A/C, I was not stuck in traffic since my last fill-up.
Part of this issue could be winter gas and colder temps. Most people see a drop of MPG in the winter on any car.
IM Matt likes this.

89 Supercharged White MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S TURBO CSM 5MT
17 Corolla iM CSM 6MT/ 17 RAV4 XLE MGM
95 Previa S/C White AT/06 Scion xB MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 71 Old 02-14-2018, 01:25 AM

Quote:
I tried Primacy MXM4 and they seem to be an upgraded Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Primacy are even more sporty and agile, while also being more comfortable and way way more quiet. Fuel economy is also a little better over Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Sadly for me, they were still a bit more bumpy than I would prefer them to be. I could not return my set of Primacy tires, so I am selling them.

A set of 4 Michelin Primacy MXM4 225/45R17 91V for sale ($400). I had them for around 300 miles. The closest thing to perfect tires, excellent grip in wet, dry and snow. If you live around VA-MD-PA, I can bring them to you. I can also ship them to you.
So have you just been buying tires, trying them and then returning them?

I've had the Primacy MXM4 before and while they are a good tire they are nowhere near the performance of the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in the dry or wet. Not even close. This has been proven during the extensive tests that Tire Rack has done over the years. I noticed it right away too. The Primacy MXM4 is also an Green or Eco tire that will do well in dry and wet but will also give longer tread life and better MPG. It doesn't have anywhere near the adhesion to the road surface but that does make it a bad tire. In fact it might be a good choice for many people. And for $400 for the set is a decent deal.

post #64 of 71 Old 02-14-2018, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedMR2 View Post
So have you just been buying tires, trying them and then returning them?

I've had the Primacy MXM4 before and while they are a good tire they are nowhere near the performance of the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in the dry or wet. Not even close. This has been proven during the extensive tests that Tire Rack has done over the years. I noticed it right away too. The Primacy MXM4 is also an Green or Eco tire that will do well in dry and wet but will also give longer tread life and better MPG. It doesn't have anywhere near the adhesion to the road surface but that does make it a bad tire. In fact it might be a good choice for many people. And for $400 for the set is a decent deal.
Yes, I could not find anything decent in performance-comfort combination. Yokohama Advan Sport A/S were the closest thing to perfect blend, but they killed MPGs, I would get 27-28 MPG on the highway instead of 32-33 I was usually getting. As far as Michelin Primacy MXM4, acceleration is as good, if not better than Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Handling is about the same. Cornering is excellent. Braking is excellent. Traction is excellent. Noise is almost absent. Fuel economy was around 32-33, but I only had them for a week, so they probably did not even break-in. I really cannot find any downsides to them besides being a bit more bumpy than I would like.

I decided to settle on the Proxies 4 Plus 225/45R17 94W. They are slightly more rough over potholes, probably due to W-speed rating and 560 wear rating, but overall performance is satisfactory. They feel soft and remind me of touring tires, especially on the highway. Sadly, they are slippery in the rain and snow, just like our stock Proxies and Nitto Motivo. They are also very similar to Nitto Motivo (duh), but Motivo feels more comfort oriented, whereas Proxies are a bit sportier. I spent around $700 on installations and return shipping + the cost of my new tires (not counting a set of Primacy tires), but I ended up with Toyo/Nitto again.
IM Matt likes this.

Current:

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX

Last edited by have2ride; 02-14-2018 at 04:25 AM.
post #65 of 71 Old 02-15-2018, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Yes, I could not find anything decent in performance-comfort combination. Yokohama Advan Sport A/S were the closest thing to perfect blend, but they killed MPGs, I would get 27-28 MPG on the highway instead of 32-33 I was usually getting. As far as Michelin Primacy MXM4, acceleration is as good, if not better than Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Handling is about the same. Cornering is excellent. Braking is excellent. Traction is excellent. Noise is almost absent. Fuel economy was around 32-33, but I only had them for a week, so they probably did not even break-in. I really cannot find any downsides to them besides being a bit more bumpy than I would like.

I decided to settle on the Proxies 4 Plus 225/45R17 94W. They are slightly more rough over potholes, probably due to W-speed rating and 560 wear rating, but overall performance is satisfactory. They feel soft and remind me of touring tires, especially on the highway. Sadly, they are slippery in the rain and snow, just like our stock Proxies and Nitto Motivo. They are also very similar to Nitto Motivo (duh), but Motivo feels more comfort oriented, whereas Proxies are a bit sportier. I spent around $700 on installations and return shipping + the cost of my new tires (not counting a set of Primacy tires), but I ended up with Toyo/Nitto again.
The reason that acceleration feels similar is the iM doesn't have enough power to overwhelm the MXM4. Cornering and braking is much better on the Pilot Sport A/S 3+. If you can't tell the difference then you're not cornering or braking hard enough hard enough as there is a huge difference between the 2 tires. The MXM4 is an Eco/Green LRR tire designed to improve MPG but give up some performance. I've tried both of them on my 09 Corolla S Turbo in the hills around Mt. St. Helens and believe me there is a huge difference. My Corolla S Turbo has an extra 100HP and I can push the tires much harder and I noticed a huge difference between the 2 Michelin tires. It was in line with what they are designed to do though.

post #66 of 71 Old 02-16-2018, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedMR2 View Post
The reason that acceleration feels similar is the iM doesn't have enough power to overwhelm the MXM4. Cornering and braking is much better on the Pilot Sport A/S 3+. If you can't tell the difference then you're not cornering or braking hard enough hard enough as there is a huge difference between the 2 tires. The MXM4 is an Eco/Green LRR tire designed to improve MPG but give up some performance. I've tried both of them on my 09 Corolla S Turbo in the hills around Mt. St. Helens and believe me there is a huge difference. My Corolla S Turbo has an extra 100HP and I can push the tires much harder and I noticed a huge difference between the 2 Michelin tires. It was in line with what they are designed to do though.
You are probably right. I am just an average driver, slightly spirited, but not crazy about racing in any way. Primacy is a great everyday tire with excellent wet/snow traction, which is rare for an all-season tire. I wish I had tried Michelin Premier, but I don't want to experiment anymore.

Current:

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX
post #67 of 71 Old 02-18-2018, 03:06 AM

Quote:
You are probably right. I am just an average driver, slightly spirited, but not crazy about racing in any way. Primacy is a great everyday tire with excellent wet/snow traction, which is rare for an all-season tire. I wish I had tried Michelin Premier, but I don't want to experiment anymore.
It's actually not very good in the snow at all, average at best. It has wide voids that help provide good wet traction and braking but there is not a lot of sipping for better snow traction. The rubber compound is really the biggest weak point on an A/S tire in the snow. If they make it perform better in the snow the tire will not last at all. These have a 500 tread life estimate and get a fair rating in the snow on Tire Rack which is what I would expect. Remember that the fair rating is compared to other A/S tires. I've always said that any A/S tire is really a 3 season tire and should be used year round where people don't really deal with snow at all. An A/S tire is like driving on grease compared to a good winter tire in the snow.

post #68 of 71 Old 10-17-2019, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unrelated topic, but where can I get a CD player for my I.M.?
IM Matt likes this.
post #69 of 71 Old 10-17-2019, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
Unrelated topic, but where can I get a CD player for my I.M.?
There is an entire Audio/Video section.

But basically in North America that is not an option. You would need to get an aftermarket head unit.
IM Matt likes this.
post #70 of 71 Old 10-27-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
The Michelin Premier A/S is a good all around tire and does great in wet conditions. You have to remember that nay tire when brand new will normally produce lower MPG compared to your older tires. The tires need to break in over the first 1k miles or so. On my 2009 Corolla S I saw a drop of 2-3 MPG when I replaced my worn out General Exclaim UHP tires with my Michelin Pilot Super Sport A/S 3 tires. I felt that the General tires were near perfect. The Michelin are better on the extreme side of driving when I'm driving hard in the mountains. The ride is stiffer but it relates to the better steering, braking and handling of the tires.

I imagine that you paid for a complete set of tires just paying to mount/dismount and balance each set of tires!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion iM Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page