24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 73 Old 11-09-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nics View Post
Oh interesting. The DWS 06 feels heavy compared to Proxes. I'm curious to see myself how the noir's feel.

So today, I was finally able to look at the tires closely. To my surprise, the front passenger tire wasn't seated properly. Took it back to Toyota and they fixed it immediately and washed the car. So far, the vibration is gone. The comfort is pretty decent but not close to what the Proxes have.
According to many reviewers, DWS 06 is a great traction tire, it is better in the rain and it is a bit more responsive, but you sacrifice some comfort. Do you like them enough to keep them? Black Friday is coming up, I will probably hold off for another two weeks and see what deals are out there. So far Noirs are great, if only they were a tiny bit more responsive with cornering.

Current:
2018 Buick Regal Sportback FWD

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 73 Old 11-10-2017, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by have2ride View Post
Quote:
Oh interesting. The DWS 06 feels heavy compared to Proxes. I'm curious to see myself how the noir's feel.

So today, I was finally able to look at the tires closely. To my surprise, the front passenger tire wasn't seated properly. Took it back to Toyota and they fixed it immediately and washed the car. So far, the vibration is gone. The comfort is pretty decent but not close to what the Proxes have.
According to many reviewers, DWS 06 is a great traction tire, it is better in the rain and it is a bit more responsive, but you sacrifice some comfort. Do you like them enough to keep them? Black Friday is coming up, I will probably hold off for another two weeks and see what deals are out there. So far Noirs are great, if only they were a tiny bit more responsive with cornering.
I do like them so far. It takes quite a bit of an adjustment on my part. It always feels weird in the beginning. On take offs, it grips pretty well and comfort-wise it is comparable to what I was used to on my Celica.

Good luck and hope you find a good deal! I already scored with Toyota tire sale - it was cheaper than tire rack.
post #33 of 73 Old 11-10-2017, 08:02 PM

I found these BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S $603 otd installed in your area.

Not sure if that's cheap enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171110-194148_1510362078886.png
Views:	79
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	12930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171110-194216_1510362095330.png
Views:	91
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	12938  

post #34 of 73 Old 11-12-2017, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

It is weird, but I cannot open your screenshots.

Current:

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX
post #35 of 73 Old 11-19-2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:

It is weird, but I cannot open your screenshots.
Let me see if I can upload it again. I previously used my phone, maybe it's related to that.

Update: So far, about 380 miles driven on the DWS 06, it is starting to grow on me. Today, we had some heavy rain and I'm happy to report that the tires performed well. On the highway, the car felt solidly planted. I was driving between 60-70 mph and water puddles felt like nothing. Big noticeable difference from the stock Toyo regarding the 'floating feel' on wet surfaces. When slowing down, the noise of water hitting the wheel well increased. Maybe due to the design effectively expelling water and maximizing grip. So far, I was very pleased how it handled.
post #36 of 73 Old 11-19-2017, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Let me see if I can upload it again. I previously used my phone, maybe it's related to that.

Update: So far, about 380 miles driven on the DWS 06, it is starting to grow on me. Today, we had some heavy rain and I'm happy to report that the tires performed well. On the highway, the car felt solidly planted. I was driving between 60-70 mph and water puddles felt like nothing. Big noticeable difference from the stock Toyo regarding the 'floating feel' on wet surfaces. When slowing down, the noise of water hitting the wheel well increased. Maybe due to the design effectively expelling water and maximizing grip. So far, I was very pleased how it handled.
Nice. How is cornering? How is fuel economy? Acceleration? Braking?

I can also add that my Versado Noirs are now much more responsive. I was thinking I should keep them, since roads in DC are bumpy and that is why I wanted touring tires. They ride over bumps really well, but I did order Nitto Motivo from Discount Tire Direct. They will be arriving in a few days, I will definitely update on how they perform. So far Nitto Motivo is the best deal I could find and 90% of reviews are great. They are rated 60,000 miles, if they last 30k it will be good enough considering their price $86 per tire.

Current:

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX

Last edited by have2ride; 11-19-2017 at 11:13 PM.
post #37 of 73 Old 11-20-2017, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Nice. How is cornering? How is fuel economy? Acceleration? Braking?

I can also add that my Versado Noirs are now much more responsive. I was thinking I should keep them, since roads in DC are bumpy and that is why I wanted touring tires. They ride over bumps really well, but I did order Nitto Motivo from Discount Tire Direct. They will be arriving in a few days, I will definitely update on how they perform. So far Nitto Motivo is the best deal I could find and 90% of reviews are great. They are rated 60,000 miles, if they last 30k it will be good enough considering their price $86 per tire.
Uploaded the previous attachments that you could not view. This was from Toyota Tire Center.

Some insights on the items you enumerated:

Acceleration - compared to OEM, it feels slower, heavier and bulky.
Braking - excellent! same as the OEM tires (no complaints on them) on dry but on wet, it feels it has a solid contact with the ground. On deceleration, more water can be heard being expelled in the wheel well.
Fuel economy - not much data yet. On my first tank, it my average fuel economy dropped from 35 to 33 mpg. It might be related to the front passenger tire not seated properly, temperature and winter gas blend. I'm curious how could it have been if it was summer. I'm on my 2nd tank, I'll give an update after that.
Cornering - not much experience other than merging and exiting the highway - very stable and plenty of grip. Detroit is a big grid
Comfort - pretty decent. IMO, it seems better than the Toyos. Going over plenty of pot holes here in Detroit never felt better lol

Roads in DC aren't too bad, it's the traffic! Looking forward hearing your review on the Nittos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20171110-194216.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	13226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171110-194148.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	13234  
davect01 and have2ride like this.
post #38 of 73 Old 11-20-2017, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Uploaded the previous attachments that you could not view. This was from Toyota Tire Center.

Some insights on the items you enumerated:

Acceleration - compared to OEM, it feels slower, heavier and bulky.
Braking - excellent! same as the OEM tires (no complaints on them) on dry but on wet, it feels it has a solid contact with the ground. On deceleration, more water can be heard being expelled in the wheel well.
Fuel economy - not much data yet. On my first tank, it my average fuel economy dropped from 35 to 33 mpg. It might be related to the front passenger tire not seated properly, temperature and winter gas blend. I'm curious how could it have been if it was summer. I'm on my 2nd tank, I'll give an update after that.
Cornering - not much experience other than merging and exiting the highway - very stable and plenty of grip. Detroit is a big grid
Comfort - pretty decent. IMO, it seems better than the Toyos. Going over plenty of pot holes here in Detroit never felt better lol

Roads in DC aren't too bad, it's the traffic! Looking forward hearing your review on the Nittos
How many miles did you put on your DWS? I feel my Motivos are a bit bulky, but Versados also felt that way for the first 150 miles.

I had my Nitto Motivos installed today. So far they feel exactly what I wanted them to be: slightly sportier than Versados, but more comfortable than stock Proxes. They are also very quiet, just a tiny bit louder than Versados. They also seem to be almost as comfortable as Versados. I am happy so far, I want to see how they feel in the rain and after a few days of breaking in.

As far as traffic - yes, it gets crazy here. But DC downtown has some rough roads. Also some Maryland roads are bad. Virginia, OTOH, is mostly great. I drove around Virginia and I haven't seen any bad roads. I haven't been to Detroit area, but Michigan interstate seems OK. Northern Michigan has some dirt roads, but that is expected when you go deep into the woods.

Current:

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX

Last edited by have2ride; 11-20-2017 at 11:07 PM.
post #39 of 73 Old 11-21-2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
How many miles did you put on your DWS? I feel my Motivos are a bit bulky, but Versados also felt that way for the first 150 miles.

I had my Nitto Motivos installed today. So far they feel exactly what I wanted them to be: slightly sportier than Versados, but more comfortable than stock Proxes. They are also very quiet, just a tiny bit louder than Versados. They also seem to be almost as comfortable as Versados. I am happy so far, I want to see how they feel in the rain and after a few days of breaking in.

As far as traffic - yes, it gets crazy here. But DC downtown has some rough roads. Also some Maryland roads are bad. Virginia, OTOH, is mostly great. I drove around Virginia and I haven't seen any bad roads. I haven't been to Detroit area, but Michigan interstate seems OK. Northern Michigan has some dirt roads, but that is expected when you go deep into the woods.
Forgot to mention the miles, I'm at about 500 miles. I also forgot about the noise. It seems to be loud, the toyos were quiet imo.

Great that it worked out for you. Hopefully it doesn't feel 'floating' on wet surfaces.

I hated driving in DC. We got rear-ended on the way back to MD this past summer, and, it was a hit-and-run. Good thing it was a minor fender-bender. In Michigan, anywhere outside of Detroit metro seems OK. I can't find nice twisty roads out here, not like when I used to live in California. It'll be fun to take the iM for a spin
post #40 of 73 Old 11-21-2017, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Forgot to mention the miles, I'm at about 500 miles. I also forgot about the noise. It seems to be loud, the toyos were quiet imo.

Great that it worked out for you. Hopefully it doesn't feel 'floating' on wet surfaces.

I hated driving in DC. We got rear-ended on the way back to MD this past summer, and, it was a hit-and-run. Good thing it was a minor fender-bender. In Michigan, anywhere outside of Detroit metro seems OK. I can't find nice twisty roads out here, not like when I used to live in California. It'll be fun to take the iM for a spin
Maryland has plenty curvy roads in some suburbs, for example north of Baltimore in Owings Mills area. DC is super busy, but interesting. Baltimore is such a sh**ole though, but northern suburbs are great. Southern suburbs are also decent. Midwest is somewhat boring, most cities have regular grid blocks and look exactly the same. Roads are mostly good though.

Would you get DWS now, if you had the choice, after knowing how they feel? One tire I was seriously considering was Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S. I almost got them, but then decided to go cheap and get Motivos.

As far as Versado Noir, I believe Motivo is a way better choice for the money.

Your screenshots: that's a good price, but you can't beat Costco. They have BFG Comp-2 A/S for $109 per tire right now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1646.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	13258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1648.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	820.7 KB
ID:	13266   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1647.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	13274  
davect01 likes this.

Current:

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX

Last edited by have2ride; 11-21-2017 at 02:26 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion iM Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page