24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 73 Old 11-07-2017, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nics View Post
No, I haven't tried the Versado Noirs. From your list, I think your next best bet would be the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Try researching on tire rack for reviews on that.

Alright, finally got it installed last night. So far, I'm pleased with Toyota that it comes with a road hazard warranty for 2 years; Free replacement of the tire within 1 year and 50% off on the 2nd year. Since I'm keeping my Toyo's which has still good enough thread for summer, planning to swap it back next April.

First, I felt that there was a big change in steering response. I feel that it is very sensitive and I feel plenty of vibration in the steering wheel. Maybe that's just the bad roads of Detroit but when I got into a smoother part, it seems to be okay. It also felt like floating on dry, but maybe because it is brand new and very meaty. Plenty of grip when cornering. Overall, it is very stable on dry roads. I would update when the wet and snowy weather gets in.

I actually did miss the Toyo's yesterday. Somehow, the Toyo's felt more premium than the Continental.

I thought about that and of course that would be a great improvement over A/S. Here, roads are plowed every time. Most likely, I would not be driving on deep snow on a regular basis. My iM survived in last year's first snow storm; drove it during that from Montreal to Toronto on stock Toyo's and it handled fine. Don't know what this winter would look like and I hope as mild as last year's.
Yep, Toyo Proxes somehow give you a quiet, but sporty ride. Although they are soft and wear out fast. I read some more reviews, Proxes are among the best for comfort/sport blend. They actually are a twin of Nitto Motivo, but Motivo comes with a 60,000 mile warranty. The best part? Discount Tire Direct has Nitto Motivo for $86 per tire, amazing deal. If I can get the same performance of my stock Proxes for that price, I will be fine. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ has 45,000 mile warranty and costs almost double. I will most likely go with Motivo at this point.

I lived in Wisconsin for a few years and I was just fine with All-Season Michelin tires I had on my Honda.

Current:
2018 Buick Regal Sportback FWD

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX

Last edited by have2ride; 11-07-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 73 Old 11-08-2017, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Quote:
I thought about that and of course that would be a great improvement over A/S. Here, roads are plowed every time. Most likely, I would not be driving on deep snow on a regular basis. My iM survived in last year's first snow storm; drove it during that from Montreal to Toronto on stock Toyo's and it handled fine. Don't know what this winter would look like and I hope as mild as last year's.
I would never take a chance with A/S tires living where you do. Can you get by? Maybe, but one accident will be more expensive then a set of winter tires. Even if the roads are plowed there can still be plenty of snow on them and when you need to brake or steer and have little control. I never understand why people feel like rolling the dice when it comes to their lives, their car and other people.

89 Supercharged White MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S TURBO CSM 5MT
17 Corolla iM CSM 6MT/ 17 RAV4 XLE MGM
95 Previa S/C White AT/06 Scion xB MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 73 Old 11-08-2017, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedMR2 View Post
Quote:
I would never take a chance with A/S tires living where you do. Can you get by? Maybe, but one accident will be more expensive then a set of winter tires. Even if the roads are plowed there can still be plenty of snow on them and when you need to brake or steer and have little control. I never understand why people feel like rolling the dice when it comes to their lives, their car and other people.
Couldn't have said it better myself, I bought hyper sport a/s tires even though I only go to the mountains about 12 times a year. Don't chance it man, and trust me you'll love a good invested tire!!
SuperchargedMR2 likes this.

-Kammer

post #24 of 73 Old 11-08-2017, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm sure you wouldn't understand until you live in exact same area as I am. I moved from California and it was daunting in the beginning. Especially in a 20 year old car, the suspension is very outdated compared to the iM.

I already calculated and accepted the risks associated. If it is your time to die or be in an accident, having A/S doesn't make too much of a difference. There is always a risk associated with driving regardless of weather. I can't control how other people drive or what tires they are using - I can only control my own car and this is the risk that I take every time I drive.

For example, the iM's value right now would be $10k. If the vehicle was totaled today, insurance will give me a check for $10k (car value today). The gap insurance will take care of the remainder of the loan. As of today, I already made 18 payments of $368 (no down, no interest). So far, my total out-of-pocket was $6624 which is way less than $10k. I would actually profit from an accident today but I wouldn't want that.

My car was already rear ended this past summer. It was repaired at a Toyota dealership and did not spend a single dime on it; the glory of having car insurance.
post #25 of 73 Old 11-08-2017, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Quote:
I'm sure you wouldn't understand until you live in exact same area as I am. I moved from California and it was daunting in the beginning. Especially in a 20 year old car, the suspension is very outdated compared to the iM.

I already calculated and accepted the risks associated. If it is your time to die or be in an accident, having A/S doesn't make too much of a difference. There is always a risk associated with driving regardless of weather. I can't control how other people drive or what tires they are using - I can only control my own car and this is the risk that I take every time I drive.

For example, the iM's value right now would be $10k. If the vehicle was totaled today, insurance will give me a check for $10k (car value today). The gap insurance will take care of the remainder of the loan. As of today, I already made 18 payments of $368 (no down, no interest). So far, my total out-of-pocket was $6624 which is way less than $10k. I would actually profit from an accident today but I wouldn't want that.

My car was already rear ended this past summer. It was repaired at a Toyota dealership and did not spend a single dime on it; the glory of having car insurance.
To each their own man, we're just looking out for you, and in my opinion my tires are worth every penny I spent! Better dry, wet and even dirt traction, dealing with monsoons in AZ is no joke and I'm passing jeeps on the 101fwy going 80 every time it pours and I feel safer than ever. I can't wait to test them in the snow, I'll let you know how they handle in about a month but I'm sure I'll love them.

-Kammer
post #26 of 73 Old 11-09-2017, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kammer View Post
To each their own man, we're just looking out for you, and in my opinion my tires are worth every penny I spent! Better dry, wet and even dirt traction, dealing with monsoons in AZ is no joke and I'm passing jeeps on the 101fwy going 80 every time it pours and I feel safer than ever. I can't wait to test them in the snow, I'll let you know how they handle in about a month but I'm sure I'll love them.
Well, in that case all-weather tires would be the best option out there. Something like Toyo Celsius or Nokian WRG3. These are very new and there are barely any reviews available yet.

Another update on Versado Noir:

Floating is now gone, tires are probably getting close to be broken in. Steering now has some feedback, but it is about 50% lighter than stock Proxes. They just drive as a super comfortable touring tire with decent handling. Comfort is above and beyond imaginable, I never had a more comfortable tire in my life. Cornering is possible, but tires resist taking sharp turns, so when you force the car into a tight turn, it feels soft/plush and without much feedback. Whole turning experience just feels somewhat awkward and somewhat forces you into taking calm turns instead.

Current:
2018 Buick Regal Sportback FWD

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX

Last edited by have2ride; 11-09-2017 at 02:36 AM.
post #27 of 73 Old 11-09-2017, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Quote:

This is the strangest explanation I've ever heard of. Why would anyone not want better control of their car? The tire is the only thing contacting the road surface. So buying the right tire for the right conditions is always the proper thing to do. This provides the best braking, steering and handling. Why you would take any risk with causing an accident or being able to avoid one baffles me. What if you lost control and killed someone? This is the part of many drivers today that I don't get. Don't be that nut job that I see on the road all of the time during the winter. Once you buy a set of winter tires you will wonder why you never did it before.
davect01 likes this.

89 Supercharged White MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S TURBO CSM 5MT
17 Corolla iM CSM 6MT/ 17 RAV4 XLE MGM
95 Previa S/C White AT/06 Scion xB MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl

post #28 of 73 Old 11-09-2017, 03:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Huh? Why? I just don't get it. The idea of oh well, if I get in an accident it is no big deal is absurd. What about the others that you might injure or the injuries to yourself??

If I lived anywhere that had more than a few snow storms a year I would for sure have snow tires. Having driven in snow in both regular tires and snow tires the difference is significant.
SuperchargedMR2 likes this.
post #29 of 73 Old 11-09-2017, 06:10 PM

Guys guys guys... I understand that you all mean well and I appreciate it. No matter how bizarre or absurd it may seem, I'll stick to what said. Of course, I don't want any accidents to happen, including to myself.

Let's wrap this up and move forward back to topic!
post #30 of 73 Old 11-09-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by have2ride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kammer View Post
Well, in that case all-weather tires would be the best option out there. Something like Toyo Celsius or Nokian WRG3. These are very new and there are barely any reviews available yet.

Another update on Versado Noir:

Floating is now gone, tires are probably getting close to be broken in. Steering now has some feedback, but it is about 50% lighter than stock Proxes. They just drive as a super comfortable touring tire with decent handling. Comfort is above and beyond imaginable, I never had a more comfortable tire in my life. Cornering is possible, but tires resist taking sharp turns, so when you force the car into a tight turn, it feels soft/plush and without much feedback. Whole turning experience just feels somewhat awkward and somewhat forces you into taking calm turns instead.
Oh interesting. The DWS 06 feels heavy compared to Proxes. I'm curious to see myself how the noir's feel.

So today, I was finally able to look at the tires closely. To my surprise, the front passenger tire wasn't seated properly. Took it back to Toyota and they fixed it immediately and washed the car. So far, the vibration is gone. The comfort is pretty decent but not close to what the Proxes have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion iM Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page