24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 73 Old 11-03-2017, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedMR2 View Post
I'm not a big fan of Toyo tires. I don't think they are nearly as good as they used to be many years ago. There are a lot of higher rated tires I would look at before Toyo.

My local Discount Tires and Discount Tire Direct have never charged me shipping for any tire I've wanted, even if they don't have it in stock and have to order it. Tirerack does but never DT.

I love my Michelin Pilot Super Sport A/S3 as they stick like glue. I've never experienced a tire like this before and they are amazing. The BF Goodrich g-Force Comp 2 A/S also looks like an amazing tire for around what your Toyo tires cost.

Good luck with the new tires. Keep us posted on how you like them.
I spent a long time researching all kinds of tires. I was looking specifically for luxury touring tires, not ultra high performance. Versado Noir seems to be one of the best for cheaper touring tires, people praise its plush stable ride and good wet performance. Many people compare it to Michelin. BF Goodrich g-Force Comp 2 A/S had really good reviews, but I hated its super aggressive sidewall, it is in the same price category with Versado Noir. When I sell my iM or get a new set of tires down the road, I will pick Michelin Premier. I have to say I really loved my stock Proxes tires, they just wore off a little fast and they were very slippery in the rain. I had about 28,000 miles on them, I could get another 7,000 miles out of them easily, if I lived down south.

Current:
2018 Buick Regal Sportback FWD

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 73 Old 11-03-2017, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I just took advantage of the Toyota tire sale this past month. Pulled the trigger on a set of Continental DWS 06 for $588 out-the-door installed. Looking forward having this installed on Monday!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dws 06.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	12890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tires.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	12898  
davect01 and have2ride like this.
post #13 of 73 Old 11-03-2017, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nics View Post
I just took advantage of the Toyota tire sale this past month. Pulled the trigger on a set of Continental DWS 06 for $588 out-the-door installed. Looking forward having this installed on Monday!
That's a really good price for Continental tires. Please comment after you get them installed, I wonder how good they are.

Update on my Versado Noir: I took a longer trip today, including some curvy back roads. I could definitely feel where these tires lack: they do not hold the road on extreme high speed curves, but I am talking borderline extreme curves 20-30 miles above recommended speed limit. There also could be a chance they did not break in yet. Stopping performance is about 30% better, I only press my brake pedal about half way compared to what I was used to with the Proxes. Acceleration is also very smooth and gradual, I do not feel any jerkiness.

I had my first rain today, excellent performance. They do not slide, do not hydroplane, even when driving through deep puddles.

Versados are so comfortable, I feel like I am riding a pillow. My car now reminds of Lexus or Cadillac, very smooth and quiet. If I get too bored, I may get something else

Current:

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX

Last edited by have2ride; 11-04-2017 at 11:53 PM.

post #14 of 73 Old 11-06-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by have2ride View Post
That's a really good price for Continental tires. Please comment after you get them installed, I wonder how good they are.

Update on my Versado Noir: I took a longer trip today, including some curvy back roads. I could definitely feel where these tires lack: they do not hold the road on extreme high speed curves, but I am talking borderline extreme curves 20-30 miles above recommended speed limit. There also could be a chance they did not break in yet. Stopping performance is about 30% better, I only press my brake pedal about half way compared to what I was used to with the Proxes. Acceleration is also very smooth and gradual, I do not feel any jerkiness.

I had my first rain today, excellent performance. They do not slide, do not hydroplane, even when driving through deep puddles.

Versados are so comfortable, I feel like I am riding a pillow. My car now reminds of Lexus or Cadillac, very smooth and quiet. If I get too bored, I may get something else
Sure thing. I'm curious to see how they feel on wet and snowy surfaces.

The Toyo's felt floating and that the car would slide but it seems to have a decent grip. Same in snow/slush but worked out fine. I guess it is normal to feel that way after a nice summer
post #15 of 73 Old 11-07-2017, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

The Toyo's felt floating and that the car would slide but it seems to have a decent grip. Same in snow/slush but worked out fine. I guess it is normal to feel that way after a nice summer
Did you actually try Versado Noirs? Yes, I feel the same thing. They float too much, a bit unpredictable and steering barely has any feedback. So I will most likely get another set of tires and return these. I do love their comfort, but I need something a bit more stable. I also start to miss my cornering that I had with stock Proxes.

Now I am debating between Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, Nitto Motivo - it looks like our stock Proxes (probably just a name change), and Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 H452.

Current:

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX

Last edited by have2ride; 11-07-2017 at 03:04 AM.
post #16 of 73 Old 11-07-2017, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Quote:

If you get snow and regular temps below 45F during the winter you would be much better off getting a set of winter tires for the colder months. A/S tires are good for 3 seasons but not winter snow.

89 Supercharged White MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S TURBO CSM 5MT
17 Corolla iM CSM 6MT/ 17 RAV4 XLE MGM
95 Previa S/C White AT/06 Scion xB MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 73 Old 11-07-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by have2ride View Post
Did you actually try Versado Noirs? Yes, I feel the same thing. They float too much, a bit unpredictable and steering barely has any feedback. So I will most likely get another set of tires and return these. I do love their comfort, but I need something a bit more stable. I also start to miss my cornering that I had with stock Proxes.

Now I am debating between Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, Nitto Motivo - it looks like our stock Proxes (probably just a name change), and Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 H452.
No, I haven't tried the Versado Noirs. From your list, I think your next best bet would be the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Try researching on tire rack for reviews on that.

Alright, finally got it installed last night. So far, I'm pleased with Toyota that it comes with a road hazard warranty for 2 years; Free replacement of the tire within 1 year and 50% off on the 2nd year. Since I'm keeping my Toyo's which has still good enough thread for summer, planning to swap it back next April.

First, I felt that there was a big change in steering response. I feel that it is very sensitive and I feel plenty of vibration in the steering wheel. Maybe that's just the bad roads of Detroit but when I got into a smoother part, it seems to be okay. It also felt like floating on dry, but maybe because it is brand new and very meaty. Plenty of grip when cornering. Overall, it is very stable on dry roads. I would update when the wet and snowy weather gets in.

I actually did miss the Toyo's yesterday. Somehow, the Toyo's felt more premium than the Continental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedMR2 View Post
If you get snow and regular temps below 45F during the winter you would be much better off getting a set of winter tires for the colder months. A/S tires are good for 3 seasons but not winter snow.
I thought about that and of course that would be a great improvement over A/S. Here, roads are plowed every time. Most likely, I would not be driving on deep snow on a regular basis. My iM survived in last year's first snow storm; drove it during that from Montreal to Toronto on stock Toyo's and it handled fine. Don't know what this winter would look like and I hope as mild as last year's.
post #18 of 73 Old 11-07-2017, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Garage
Following the comments here as I was told my Toyo's have about 4 months left before needing to change. Living in Phx, snow is not the main concern, but I do make a few cold weather trips in the winter and when it does rain, it pours.

I have no issues with my Toyo's, they have served me well. My one trip during a snow storm they handled just fine.
nics likes this.
post #19 of 73 Old 11-07-2017, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davect01 View Post
Following the comments here as I was told my Toyo's have about 4 months left before needing to change. Living in Phx, snow is not the main concern, but I do make a few cold weather trips in the winter and when it does rain, it pours.

I have no issues with my Toyo's, they have served me well. My one trip during a snow storm they handled just fine.

What's up man, I was in the same situation as you are. Living in Scottsdale but not having to deal with severe weather, however I do go to Big Bear, mammoth and snowbowl during the winter so I wanted an awesome all season tire. I went off and bought a set of BFGoodrich Comp2 a/s and they're the best tire I have ever had on any vehicle! Go check out the ratings on tirerack.com and choose for yourself. The tires have improved wet and dry traction, they corner amazingly and handled the Az monsoon season like a boss!

-Kammer
post #20 of 73 Old 11-07-2017, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kammer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davect01 View Post

What's up man, I was in the same situation as you are. Living in Scottsdale but not having to deal with severe weather, however I do go to Big Bear, mammoth and snowbowl during the winter so I wanted an awesome all season tire. I went off and bought a set of BFGoodrich Comp2 a/s and they're the best tire I have ever had on any vehicle! Go check out the ratings on tirerack.com and choose for yourself. The tires have improved wet and dry traction, they corner amazingly and handled the Az monsoon season like a boss!
Those are on the top of my list

Last edited by davect01; 11-07-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion iM Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page