Plate Relocation - Scion iM Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-19-2020, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Relocated the license plate last night. Didnt take too long at all. Just pop the plate off and the tow cover on the bumper and screw in the the rod from the kit with the plate holding bracket already on there. Got the kit from Amazon. I love the look of it and should help with airflow to the radiator since I push my IM a lot on track days. What does everyone think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200219_080716_1582117672457.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	14660  

Last edited by mpsScion1600; 02-19-2020 at 08:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-29-2020, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
I don't think it makes any difference for airflow. It doesn't really block the air inlet. So now you have 2 holes in your bumper? I know a lot of people like this look but I'm not a fan. Cool if you do though. I like the more symmetrical look of it in the middle. Enjoy!

89 Supercharged White MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S TURBO CSM 5MT
17 Corolla iM CSM 6MT/ 17 RAV4 XLE MGM
95 Previa S/C White AT/06 Scion xB MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-25-2020, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedMR2 View Post
I don't think it makes any difference for airflow. It doesn't really block the air inlet. So now you have 2 holes in your bumper? I know a lot of people like this look but I'm not a fan. Cool if you do though. I like the more symmetrical look of it in the middle. Enjoy! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/ScionIMForum/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
The driver side bumper hole help with a ram effect for my DC cai. I did both sides cuz I wanted a symmetrical look. The holes are actually the housing for the fog lights but I decided not to do the lights cuz of increased airflow to the cai.

The plate location I hope will help in the summer time but if not oh well. I don't have my hopes up considering I did it just for looks.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-26-2020, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsScion1600 View Post
The driver side bumper hole help with a ram effect for my DC cai. I did both sides cuz I wanted a symmetrical look. The holes are actually the housing for the fog lights but I decided not to do the lights cuz of increased airflow to the cai.

The plate location I hope will help in the summer time but if not oh well. I don't have my hopes up considering I did it just for looks.
It won't make any difference on the iM if you have a fog light or not. You would need to enclose the air filter in a sealed box with the port so that the vacuum of the engine would help increase the ram effect of the air. It's a big misconception when it comes to intakes.

post #5 of 8 Old 03-26-2020, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedMR2 View Post
Quote:

It won't make any difference on the iM if you have a fog light or not. You would need to enclose the air filter in a sealed box with the port so that the vacuum of the engine would help increase the ram effect of the air. It's a big misconception when it comes to intakes.
Can I ask why tho? I've done it in the past with another car and it seemed to help a little bit cuz my thought was the more air it can get the better no matter what the direction flow is coming from. But I'm guessing that it's kinda like a hood scoop altering the air pressure in an engine bay with a sri?

Last edited by mpsScion1600; 03-26-2020 at 01:18 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-27-2020, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Can I ask why tho? I've done it in the past with another car and it seemed to help a little bit cuz my thought was the more air it can get the better no matter what the direction flow is coming from. But I'm guessing that it's kinda like a hood scoop altering the air pressure in an engine bay with a sri?
It's not forcing the air in since it's not a sealed ram effect. And even if it was the difference would be negligible on an iM. You are most likely feeling the benefit of the CAI but just having the fog light not installed is doing nothing. You would be better off installing the fog lights.

post #7 of 8 Old 03-30-2020, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
could you link the relocator you got ? im trying to look for one, thanks in advance
post #8 of 8 Old 03-31-2020, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Even if there is no ram air effect, I have be monitoring the AIT before the vents and after. I don't have the graph anymore but the intake temp dropped about 7 or 8 degrees at 70mph on the highway. Worth it in my opinion even if it creates a high pressure zone.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082C5NGBL..._qqWGEbB5RDPFN is the link for the relocator. It was like 20 something dollars. Totally worth it and works great. Easy install in about 10 minutes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion iM Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page