2018 Toyota Camry - the worst Camry yet - Scion iM Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 10-19-2017, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
2018 Toyota Camry - the worst Camry yet

I was able to test drive new 2018 Camry LE. What a terrible car it is!

The good: Handling is improved, it drives solid, fast and responsive. Seats are comfortable. Interior quality is great for its class - plastic, doors, screens - everything is good.

The bad: "cockpit" front seat design is the worst idea someone had and surprisingly, Toyota gave it a green light. Instead of a comfortable bullet-proof mid-size sedan Camry turned into wanna-be race car that has terrible leg room, terrible hip room, low roof and a generally cramped interior. Front passenger has to suffer with his knees being blocked by a panel that runs from the dashboard to the center console.

The worst: Camry jumped in price a lot. $40k for top of the line MSRP? Are you kidding me? I would rather get a Lexus ES350, which will actually be a comfortable large sedan with open interior design up front and yet still better interior quality overall.

I would not say previous Camry was amazing, but it was a decent every day sedan. For the first time in my life, I actually hope new Camry fails in sales. Toyota is trying to cater to wrong audience with their car, hipster kids will not be buying a Camry, no matter how sporty it is going to be. But older folks will go with a new 2018 Accord instead, which looks wonderful inside, almost German.

Current:
2018 Buick Regal Sportback FWD

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX

Last edited by have2ride; 10-19-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 10-20-2017, 03:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Garage
That's the thing. Every other maker is making their sedans "sporty." Toyota was getting left in the dust.

I personally have not driven one, so no comment personally, but the reviewers seem favorable.
post #3 of 32 Old 10-20-2017, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I'm not a fan of the latest hyper-aggressive and overdone cartoony styling trend in general, and the Camry is too large for my taste anyway, as I tend to always prefer subcompact or compacts vehicles. It's like everyone is trying to design clown-cars for 16 year olds now.
stvotw likes this.

2015 Toyota Yaris SE, Manual 5-spd, Super-White (w/TRD Rear-Sway-Bar, Super-White Shark-Fin Antenna, SunTek-CXP/35 Window Tint, SS Exhaust Tip, etc.).

post #4 of 32 Old 10-20-2017, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by have2ride View Post

The good: Handling is improved, it drives solid, fast and responsive. Seats are comfortable. Interior quality is great for its class - plastic, doors, screens - everything is good.

The bad: "cockpit" front seat design is the worst idea someone had and surprisingly, Toyota gave it a green light. Instead of a comfortable bullet-proof mid-size sedan Camry turned into wanna-be race car that has terrible leg room, terrible hip room, low roof and a generally cramped interior. Front passenger has to suffer with his knees being blocked by a panel that runs from the dashboard to the center console.

The worst: Camry jumped in price a lot. $40k for top of the line MSRP? Are you kidding me? I would rather get a Lexus ES350, which will actually be a comfortable large sedan with open interior design up front and yet still better interior quality overall.

I would not say previous Camry was amazing, but it was a decent every day sedan. For the first time in my life, I actually hope new Camry fails in sales. Toyota is trying to cater to wrong audience with their car, hipster kids will not be buying a Camry, no matter how sporty it is going to be. But older folks will go with a new 2018 Accord instead, which looks wonderful inside, almost German.
I think it depends on someones preference... For example, I can see that based on your cars that you previously owned, you like Hondas... I have been driving Toyotas my whole life. From corolla, supra, and Highlander. I actually liked the new 2018 Camry SE and the 4 cyl XSE. I did a test drive today. If I am in the market, I would buy one. Like every toyotas I have driven, all the controls are user friendly.

I could not say anything about 2018 accord since I have not driven it yet. Based on the pctures, I already seen something I dont like, the huge TV look dash monitor. One of the reasons why I did not like mazda3 (again, that is my own opinion).
post #5 of 32 Old 10-20-2017, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B91SUPRA View Post
I think it depends on someones preference... For example, I can see that based on your cars that you previously owned, you like Hondas... I have been driving Toyotas my whole life. From corolla, supra, and Highlander. I actually liked the new 2018 Camry SE and the 4 cyl XSE. I did a test drive today. If I am in the market, I would buy one. Like every toyotas I have driven, all the controls are user friendly.

I could not say anything about 2018 accord since I have not driven it yet. Based on the pctures, I already seen something I dont like, the huge TV look dash monitor. One of the reasons why I did not like mazda3 (again, that is my own opinion).
Yes, I was always a Honda fan, but it is funny that Honda is getting more plush and comfy, while Toyota is trying to be aggressive and sporty. It feels like Honda and Toyota are swapping their spots. But generally speaking, I don't like cramped interior cars. I hated new Nissan Maxima for this reason as well. This is the reason why I got my iM, it is small, but very roomy inside with open dash design and low-sitting console.

As far as TV-screen display - most German cars now have it. I don't like it as well, but it does look better on the new Accord than it looks on most German cars. Otherwise, 2018 Accord interior looks wonderful, almost like a new Audi A4. 2018 Camry interior is just weird.

Current:

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX
post #6 of 32 Old 10-21-2017, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yes, I was always a Honda fan, but it is funny that Honda is getting more plush and comfy, while Toyota is trying to be aggressive and sporty. It feels like Honda and Toyota are swapping their spots. But generally speaking, I don't like cramped interior cars. I hated new Nissan Maxima for this reason as well. This is the reason why I got my iM, it is small, but very roomy inside with open dash design and low-sitting console.

As far as TV-screen display - most German cars now have it. I don't like it as well, but it does look better on the new Accord than it looks on most German cars. Otherwise, 2018 Accord interior looks wonderful, almost like a new Audi A4. 2018 Camry interior is just weird.
Like I said, own preference. I was never a fan of German cars either lol... Camry interior maybe weird for others but looks excellent for some people like I do. I liked the seats (softex) from last gen camry se. The 2018 camry SE seats more comfy though compared from last model. Again, this is my own preference.
post #7 of 32 Old 10-21-2017, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Quote:

I've already driven a 2018 Camry SE and I couldn't disagree more on what you didn't like. I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs and I had plenty of room. It was comfortable and I sat in both front seats and the back seat. I love the cockpit design, best looking interior ever on a Camry. My only negative is the size of the car as it's gotten to big for me. The other killer is that you can't get a manual with one any more. But the car as a whole I love. I love the SE and XSE but I'm not a fan of the front grill that is so big on the non SE/XSE models.

89 Supercharged White MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S TURBO CSM 5MT
17 Corolla iM CSM 6MT/ 17 RAV4 XLE MGM
95 Previa S/C White AT/06 Scion xB MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 32 Old 10-23-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedMR2 View Post
I've already driven a 2018 Camry SE and I couldn't disagree more on what you didn't like. I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs and I had plenty of room. It was comfortable and I sat in both front seats and the back seat. I love the cockpit design, best looking interior ever on a Camry. My only negative is the size of the car as it's gotten to big for me. The other killer is that you can't get a manual with one any more. But the car as a whole I love. I love the SE and XSE but I'm not a fan of the front grill that is so big on the non SE/XSE models.
Sure, we can agree to disagree, but I just see no point in buying a large car without being able to move inside. It just kills the whole point of buying a large car. Corolla is a winner in this situation, and it has a much better simple dashboard design.

Current:

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX
post #9 of 32 Old 10-24-2017, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Quote:
Sure, we can agree to disagree, but I just see no point in buying a large car without being able to move inside. It just kills the whole point of buying a large car. Corolla is a winner in this situation, and it has a much better simple dashboard design.
But the suspension, room, power and MPG with the Camry can all out perform the Corolla. Like I said though, I personally wouldn't buy a Camry due to the overall size and no MT option but the overall design and style are amazing. Just seeing the SE/XSE on the road and it will turn heads.

89 Supercharged White MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S TURBO CSM 5MT
17 Corolla iM CSM 6MT/ 17 RAV4 XLE MGM
95 Previa S/C White AT/06 Scion xB MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl

post #10 of 32 Old 10-25-2017, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedMR2 View Post
But the suspension, room, power and MPG with the Camry can all out perform the Corolla. Like I said though, I personally wouldn't buy a Camry due to the overall size and no MT option but the overall design and style are amazing. Just seeing the SE/XSE on the road and it will turn heads.
I am not so sure about some family sedan "turning heads", unless you drive it somewhere deep country side, where people only drive American pickups. Power is nothing to brag about, competition such as Ford Fusion and Ford Taurus had this much power for a while, Fusion Sport has 325 horses, Taurus SHO has 365 horses. In a recent Motor Trend testing 2018 Accord performed better than 2018 Camry in almost every category. New Camry does look good on the outside and I bet it has amazing quality and reliability, but that's all I see.

2018 Toyota Camry XSE V-6 vs. 2018 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T Comparison - Motor Trend

Current:

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX

Last edited by have2ride; 10-25-2017 at 01:53 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion iM Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page