• 1 Post By Otis24
  • 1 Post By davect01

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-18-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
New Scion iM owner in SF Bay Area

I picked up a 2016 Scion iM, 6sp manual on Saturday with 22,000 miles in Blizzard Pearl. So far I love the car.

I have a heavily modded 2003 Toyota Tacoma that sucks as a daily driver. I use it on the weekends for camping and getting to places that are really hard to get to.

I have a build thread on Tacomaworld.com for the truck that I'll post once I have enough posts to share links on this forum.

I also have a 2009 Suzuki Vstrom 650 that sucks less as a daily driver but last year I got hit by a car and broke 6 ribs, my sternum, collar bone and a finger. I also punctured and collapsed a lung, tore a hole in my diaphram and some other stuff. I still ride but not as much. That's where the iM comes in.

I'm doing zero mods to this car. It's purely transportation. However,there are a couple things.

I am going to adjust the clutch pedal. I hate the high engagement.

I took it on some curvy roads at night and don't like the high beams all that much. Their aim has them converging about 200 feet in front of the car. You can't see around the slightest corner.
My truck has a pair of 55 Watt HID's, mounted to the bumper, that throw light like a mile down the road so I'm a little used to that. I used to have a 42" light bar on the roof of the truck but the HID's are so good I took it off.

I saw where someone put a 24" light bar behind the lower grill on the iM so I might do that. I think this may do the trick for seeing around corners at night. Like my truck I'll put it on a switch and relay the lightbar off the high beams so I can have it always off or on with the highbeams.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Im.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	14572  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-21-2019, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis24 View Post
I picked up a 2016 Scion iM, 6sp manual on Saturday with 22,000 miles in Blizzard Pearl. So far I love the car.

I have a heavily modded 2003 Toyota Tacoma that sucks as a daily driver. I use it on the weekends for camping and getting to places that are really hard to get to.

I have a build thread on Tacomaworld.com for the truck that I'll post once I have enough posts to share links on this forum.

I also have a 2009 Suzuki Vstrom 650 that sucks less as a daily driver but last year I got hit by a car and broke 6 ribs, my sternum, collar bone and a finger. I also punctured and collapsed a lung, tore a hole in my diaphram and some other stuff. I still ride but not as much. That's where the iM comes in.

I'm doing zero mods to this car. It's purely transportation. However,there are a couple things.

I am going to adjust the clutch pedal. I hate the high engagement.

I took it on some curvy roads at night and don't like the high beams all that much. Their aim has them converging about 200 feet in front of the car. You can't see around the slightest corner.
My truck has a pair of 55 Watt HID's, mounted to the bumper, that throw light like a mile down the road so I'm a little used to that. I used to have a 42" light bar on the roof of the truck but the HID's are so good I took it off.

I saw where someone put a 24" light bar behind the lower grill on the iM so I might do that. I think this may do the trick for seeing around corners at night. Like my truck I'll put it on a switch and relay the lightbar off the high beams so I can have it always off or on with the highbeams.

Hi there.

Just so you know, the headlight beam is adjustable. I found mine set really low and narrow. Adjusted it and what a difference.

And just so you know you can get a ticket for having a light bar in use while driving on city streets.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-21-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davect01 View Post
Hi there.

Just so you know, the headlight beam is adjustable. I found mine set really low and narrow. Adjusted it and what a difference.

And just so you know you can get a ticket for having a light bar in use while driving on city streets.
I think light bar on the street is a $500 fine in CA. New for 2019 is a $278 fine for using high beams when you shouldn't.

I'd only use it in the mountains where there is practically no else around. There's no point in using anything brighter than low beams on city streets. For my truck I frequently pull the fuse for the HID's and the lightbar (which is gone) so I don't accidentally blind someone. Anyone coming the other way will be totally blind from those lights.

My beams are the right height, just too narrow. I'll try to adjust them outward later. I'll see if I can adjust the high beams separate from the low beams too as the low beams are just right. If not I'll find a comprise.
davect01 likes this.

post #4 of 4 Old 03-22-2019, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis24 View Post
I think light bar on the street is a $500 fine in CA. New for 2019 is a $278 fine for using high beams when you shouldn't.

I'd only use it in the mountains where there is practically no else around. There's no point in using anything brighter than low beams on city streets. For my truck I frequently pull the fuse for the HID's and the lightbar (which is gone) so I don't accidentally blind someone. Anyone coming the other way will be totally blind from those lights.

My beams are the right height, just too narrow. I'll try to adjust them outward later. I'll see if I can adjust the high beams separate from the low beams too as the low beams are just right. If not I'll find a comprise.
At least you know not to drive around with a light bar on :-)
Otis24 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion iM Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page