Hey Guys I Need Your Help - Scion iM Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mpsScion1600
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Unread 01-22-2020, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Ok so I'm not exactly new here but I've been shy and anxious about posting but here it goes. I'd like to continue to increase the hp and torque, preferably of but not limited to the low to mid rpm range, of my IM (CVT) but I'm almost running out of ideas.

My next mod in mind is a Magnum high flow cat but I'm not sure as well as a port and polish of the throttle body. Thought about a tune (not performance chips), either a reflash by Orange Virus or a local dyno tune, later on as well. Eventually lighter wheels and coils but I dont want to do those right now. I dont want to go FI but I'm open to anything else. If it's ok, can we keep this more of an engine discussion? What else can I do?

Current mods: AEM ram intake, reflective wrapped, Edelbrook filter, port matched,
coolant bypass, XP plugs, MSD leads, TRD 170 stat, 93 octane, sport mode maps, DC header, DNA catback, NST pulley, hood spacers, bumper vents, All-Fit splitter, vortex fins, backseat delete, RT43 tires, DC front bar, TB rear bar, mid brace and traction bar and WellVisors wind deflectors (wife's request ♡), and then some cosmetic stuff.

Sorry about writing a novel, just had a lot to say to start it off. I hope I'll hear from a few people. I'd really like to get more into discussions. What's does everyone think?

-Mike S.

Last edited by mpsScion1600; 01-22-2020 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Unread 01-22-2020, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Check out Quantum Solenoids look up www.QSPWR.com, Intake& Exhaust Solenoids for the1.8 I have done this and NST Pulley big difference in low to mid range Better torq 7-10 HP . Check me out on Instagram prince15116 I have pictures of my mods to my iM 1/22/20
post #3 of 7 Unread 01-29-2020, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM Matt View Post
Check out Quantum Solenoids look up www.QSPWR.com, Intake& Exhaust Solenoids for the1.8 I have done this and NST Pulley big difference in low to mid range Better torq 7-10 HP . Check me out on Instagram prince15116 I have pictures of my mods to my iM 1/22/20
I looked up "performance solenoids" for the IM a while back and couldn't find any. Great find dude! I will definitely look into this 🙂 thanks!

Unfortunately I don't have Instagram so would you be able to post the pics here on the forum? I'd really like to see what your set up looks like
IM Matt likes this.

post #4 of 7 Unread 01-30-2020, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Have you considered something like the Pedal Commander? While it won't actually give you more power, it will give you quicker access to what you have.

https://pedalcommander.com/products/...rk_base~qj_1-8

Any chance you have been keeping track of what benefits you are seeing from which mods?

-16 IM CVT
post #5 of 7 Unread 01-30-2020, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcomer View Post
Have you considered something like the Pedal Commander? While it won't actually give you more power, it will give you quicker access to what you have.

https://pedalcommander.com/products/...rk_base~qj_1-8

Any chance you have been keeping track of what benefits you are seeing from which mods?
I actually have tried the pedal commander and unfortunately I actually didnt notice a change in throttle response, even in sport mode. I guaged it by the fact that the response was slower (using my butt dyno) with the PC in normal mode than sport mode without it. I ended up giving it to a friend, much longer after the commanders initial learning time, with a manual IM but I dont remember what he said about it. I'll give it a try again considering everything else I've done to my IM since then.

The biggest difference I have found was in the header and also in the crank pulley. Much better low to mid range torque with both or either of those and together they are both very helpful. The header was the last of the i/h/e combo so the sri and catback along with it might have helped. The intake ,header, exhaust combo did increase power even tho it's not a huge increase like as advertised with the "gain around this much horsepower," as well. I totally recommend theheader and pulley both as first mods or at anytime.

The Autolite plugs and MSD wires definitely helped with the "smoothness" of acceleration and shifting a great deal. The low temp stat definitely gave sport mode a very slight improvement in kick and acceleration, even tho that I had noticed my engine temp guage already had showed the temperature was a tad lower than normal mode when I'm driving in sport mode before it, slightly lower now. Gonna relocate my license plate to the tow hook area to give the radiator more surface area to breathe and along with the vents and hood spacers it should continue to keep the temps low in the summer time since it is released to the engine sooner.

The port matching the intake manifold, heads and tb helped improve the smoothness and power mid to top end. When I am up to speed, there is definitely more kick to it.

I'm learning during the process of modding what works together and what doesn't. And I think I'd like to give the pedal commander a try again after the intake and exhaust Quantum solenoids along with everything else. Thanks for bringing it to my attention again! Worth a shot!

Last edited by mpsScion1600; 01-30-2020 at 05:56 PM.
post #6 of 7 Unread 02-07-2020, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Sorry for not posting Quantum Solenoids pictures on here ,I am not too skilled at how you post pictures on Here any help would be nice with that .Remember you need to buy both intake and exhaust Solenoids they are fairly easy to install.Keep your car in Normal driving mode for several days NO SPORT MODE NO ECCO MODE ................so they can recalibrate the motor ,it is also suggested you put these in with a NEW OIL CHANGE !! A trip to put the iM on a dyno would help after installing the header and under Drive Pulley .What air intake are you using .? I used INJEN setup love it simple bolt up unit.....Feb 2020
post #7 of 7 Unread Today, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM Matt View Post
I don't use IG either so it would be great if you posted things on here too.

89 Supercharged White MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S TURBO CSM 5MT
17 Corolla iM CSM 6MT/ 17 RAV4 XLE MGM
95 Previa S/C White AT/06 Scion xB MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion iM Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List