27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 48 Old 10-27-2017, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshb12 View Post
I believe it was just the heat shield because I bent it a little and (knock on wood) havenít heard it since.

It does stick out a little bit more, but not too much. Would upload a picture but iPhone dimensions are too large for the size that is allowed in the attachments section.

That's weird. My iphone automatically shrinks it. I get a resize warning and I hit ok. How do you like the sound anyways? You never mentioned how you like it. Also I never had any weird noise when I installed mine, everything was all gravy.

Current: 2017 Toyota IM, 2016 Toyota Rav4.

Past Cars: 2000 Civic, 93 Del Sol (Hot Import Nights), 93 Civic Si HB, 93 Celica GT Convertible, 05 Scion XB RS 2.0, 2000 S2000, 04 Scion XB, 04 G35 Coupe 6MT, 06 Scion TC, 04 350Z, 05 Scion XA, 2012 Scion TC RS 7.0, 09 Scion XD, 2014.5 Toyota Camry SE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 Old 10-27-2017, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_drifttrikerider View Post
That's weird. My iphone automatically shrinks it. I get a resize warning and I hit ok. How do you like the sound anyways? You never mentioned how you like it. Also I never had any weird noise when I installed mine, everything was all gravy.
I know it’s definitely weird. It tells me that I need to manually resize it and then try again in the error message that it gives.
As for the heat shield issue: I posted in another forum that I had my scuba tank cut off and a straight pipe welded in place. I hated it so I had the scuba welded back on. It’s highly possible they bumped my heat shield during the process or I bumped it during the install causing it to lay lower to the exhaust itself thus creating the cringe-worthy rattle.

For the sound of the exhaust: I like it! It’s just going to take some adjusting for me because I’m used to only hearing the engine whereas now I can hear the engine and exhaust. The sound isn’t super loud but if you’re used to having no aftermarket exhaust then you will notice it since the ride is no longer as silent. The thing I like most about it is that unlike when I cut the scuba off, it doesn’t fall right on its face when you’re going faster than 40 mph. I also love that I can carry on a conversation with a passenger without having to try and talk over the droning like my older Honda Civic required when I was running 45 mph steady (it was weird where it was loud at 45mph but if I started running 50 mph plus it would quiet down). Although with the Honda it had two resonators and I just cut the rear off and straight piped it. I don’t notice an increase in HP really and my pick-up “off the line” isn’t substantially better, HOWEVER I do notice that the car seems to flow much easier and feels less restricted while driving and I’ll even claim that I believe for someone who is driving for the purpose of trying to hit 40 MPG that it may make it easier to accomplish this. Granted to hit 40 MPG you really have to run steady speed and almost drive like an elderly person
post #23 of 48 Old 10-27-2017, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_drifttrikerider View Post
It sticks out more. It looks stock which is good for police. But tuners with good eyes can tell its aftermarket when you see the mandrell bends and no mufflers.
That does look a lot better. The stock tip is so tucked in it's hard to see. I love the way that sits and it looks like it should look.
IM Matt likes this.

89 Supercharged White MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S TURBO CSM 5MT
17 Corolla iM CSM 6MT/ 17 RAV4 XLE MGM
95 Previa S/C White AT/06 Scion xB MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 48 Old 10-28-2017, 01:55 PM

Something else to add to my long-winded review of it:

Not sure if Drift has noticed it or if he’s in the manual version or not.... I have the CVT and it seems like when I give it more throttle to where it shoots to 4000 RPM’s like it’s hanging out there for a little extra time before it finally shifts. That wasn’t the case before the exhaust was added.
IM Matt likes this.
post #25 of 48 Old 10-28-2017, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshb12 View Post
Something else to add to my long-winded review of it:

Not sure if Drift has noticed it or if he’s in the manual version or not.... I have the CVT and it seems like when I give it more throttle to where it shoots to 4000 RPM’s like it’s hanging out there for a little extra time before it finally shifts. That wasn’t the case before the exhaust was added.
I also have the CVT and didnt own the car long enough before all my mods to notice the differences. But my RPMs do exhibit the same
behavior you mention, I just thought it was the CVT being annoying. It would make sense if your experiencing that if the car actually did receive a power increase and the CVT tends to not shift until you?re done applying more power. So what your experiencing is a difference in power and a CVT behavior change from its stock patterns. Its probably detecting more power and if your applying throttle the same way you used to, it will hang in there longer to do what you want it to achieve. This is my speculation but it makes sense to me in my limited knowledge of CVT behavior.
IM Matt likes this.

Current: 2017 Toyota IM, 2016 Toyota Rav4.

Past Cars: 2000 Civic, 93 Del Sol (Hot Import Nights), 93 Civic Si HB, 93 Celica GT Convertible, 05 Scion XB RS 2.0, 2000 S2000, 04 Scion XB, 04 G35 Coupe 6MT, 06 Scion TC, 04 350Z, 05 Scion XA, 2012 Scion TC RS 7.0, 09 Scion XD, 2014.5 Toyota Camry SE.
post #26 of 48 Old 11-06-2017, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Is there any kind of gain from this? also does it sound like a "Fart Can"?
post #27 of 48 Old 11-07-2017, 04:14 PM

Garage
Had anyone gone onto YouTube and seen the straight piped greddy exhaust iM? In my opinion it sounds really good, a tiny bit too loud but still great. I wonder what kind of power gain he obtained from it. Being in AZ it's not too hard to pass smog here so I'm genuinely thinking about it
IM Matt likes this.

-Kammer
post #28 of 48 Old 11-12-2017, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kammer View Post
Had anyone gone onto YouTube and seen the straight piped greddy exhaust iM? In my opinion it sounds really good, a tiny bit too loud but still great. I wonder what kind of power gain he obtained from it. Being in AZ it's not too hard to pass smog here so I'm genuinely thinking about it
I've seen that, my concern is that there's a Corolla in my neighborhood that sounds similar, and at lower RPM it sounds great, but as soon as he goes above 30-40 it sounds pretty bad, it's tinny and raspy. This video was all start and low revs, makes me wonder if it sounds like that Corolla...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
IM Matt likes this.
post #29 of 48 Old 11-13-2017, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
I wish someone who has this exhaust installed would drive around with a GoPro mounted somewhere in the hatch area, so we can actually hear how it sounds. That would've been amazing and truly appreciated.

Current:
2018 Buick Regal Sportback FWD

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX
post #30 of 48 Old 11-16-2017, 03:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalNurple View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kammer View Post
I've seen that, my concern is that there's a Corolla in my neighborhood that sounds similar, and at lower RPM it sounds great, but as soon as he goes above 30-40 it sounds pretty bad, it's tinny and raspy. This video was all start and low revs, makes me wonder if it sounds like that Corolla...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Very true, makes you wonder if he's hiding anything. I finished my HPS intake install and now I'm looking at doing the D.C. Sport headers to a custom exhaust with the TRD tip, it sounds great at low and high revs, not too loud and it would give more of a stock appeal being that it is TRD. This way intake, headers and exhaust would "technically" look 50 state legal! What do you think a good route would be for the exhaust done his way?
IM Matt likes this.

-Kammer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion iM Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List