Oil Change Picture - Scion iM Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By davect01
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-30-2016, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
davect01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Garage
Oil Change Picture

So this is what it looks like underneath.

You need a 14mm Socket and a 64mm Filter Wrench

Grumpy05 likes this.
davect01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 06-30-2016, 08:48 PM
Senior Member
 
iMQuinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Oahu Hawaii
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Awesome!
iMQuinn is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 07-01-2016, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
davect01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Garage
Helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMQuinn View Post
Awesome!
Just hope this helps anyone curious about what it looks like .
davect01 is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 Old 07-15-2017, 05:55 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davect01 View Post
Just hope this helps anyone curious about what it looks like .
Thanks. I was just looking under my iM and it sure looked like I would have to remove some splash guards to get to the point of seeing what is in your image. How did you figure out which one(s) to remove?
Mursili is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 07-15-2017, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
davect01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
Thanks. I was just looking under my iM and it sure looked like I would have to remove some splash guards to get to the point of seeing what is in your image. How did you figure out which one(s) to remove?
Mine has no guards.
davect01 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 07-16-2017, 06:30 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davect01 View Post
Mine has no guards.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, mine most certainly has guards.

However, using the image provided by davect01, I could tell where the drain plug and filter needed to be. Based on that it was clear which splash guard needed to be removed. I might as well say, THE splash guard needed to be removed since it pretty much covers the bottom of the front end of the vehicle.

I had to take out 13 clips and 6 bolts. Needed a slotted screwdriver and another small socket for the bolts. Removing the clips was much easier than on any other car I have owned. Perhaps I am getting better at it, but I think that they are designed a bit better. Overall it was much easier to remove the splash guard than I was counting on. Getting it back on and figuring out which of the holes needed a clip took a little bit of work, but again it was straightforward.

I have now changed the oil in our Scion iM. This will very likely be a once-in-10,000 miles activity for this vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0838_scaled.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	11433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0841_scaled.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	11441  
Mursili is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 07-16-2017, 08:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, mine most certainly has guards.

However, using the image provided by davect01, I could tell where the drain plug and filter needed to be. Based on that it was clear which splash guard needed to be removed. I might as well say, THE splash guard needed to be removed since it pretty much covers the bottom of the front end of the vehicle.

I had to take out 13 clips and 6 bolts. Needed a slotted screwdriver and another small socket for the bolts. Removing the clips was much easier than on any other car I have owned. Perhaps I am getting better at it, but I think that they are designed a bit better. Overall it was much easier to remove the splash guard than I was counting on. Getting it back on and figuring out which of the holes needed a clip took a little bit of work, but again it was straightforward.

I have now changed the oil in our Scion iM. This will very likely be a once-in-10,000 miles activity for this vehicle.

There is another way to do it without totally removing the whole splash guard. At the dealership, only 3 clips/pins is removed and it gives u access to the filter and drain plug (it is designed that way). I have attached a pic below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0841_scaled_1_1_1_1.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	11449  
B91SUPRA is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Scion iM Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome