Scion iM Forum banner

Nst pulley kit & DC Header

22K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  SuperchargedMR2 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Thanks! I usually do extensive searches before putting on my list/orders/Future mods lols.

Yeah, both of these have been on my list for a few months. Probably going for the Crank Pulley first since the Headers aren't all that useful until I decide on what to do about the rest of the exhaust.
Sounds good! Let us know how it is on this post of possible so we don't clutter the forums lol.

I will most likely get the crank pulley then just replace the piping from the end of scubba muffler to the black muffler (second muffler @ U bend removal) with 2.25 piping & try to shorten that U bend to be a little straighter.
I'm thinking of slowly getting the DC header afterwards as I feel as if there may be an aftermarket that may make a longer one to replace the full header to cat to scubba muffler soon.
(I lurked on Scion TC & read aftermarket parts that replaced there header, stock cat down to the scubba mufflers they had that would also be able to join with aftermarket exhaust systems)

#6 · (Edited)
2009 - 2016 Toyota Corolla S Crank Pulley NST08010

DC Sports Ceramic Header; One Piece SCION XD

Anyone installed or will be doing these? Have any input? As they're on my list.

You sure have a knack of finding aftermarket parts I'd never find in a million years of Google searches! Well done!

Not trying to be a party pooper but I have read a lot of dubious things about lightweight aftermarket pulleys. It isn't the under-driving that seems to be the issue but that the effort the manufacturer put into the OEM pulley in terms of harmonic balancing is thrown out the window with these things. The central problem is that the main reason these things are lightweight is because they do not employ a harmonic balancer to the same specs as the original manufacturer's one.

I suppose it depends who you ask, but when I read stuff like this:

Thinking about buying a lightweight front pulley? READ THIS! - D-series.org

http://www.atiracing.com/products/dampers/damper_dinan.htm

It puts me off these things completely. Please don't shoot the messenger - I am just pointing out a dissenting view towards this particular type of modification:) The exhaust header on the other hand looks very interesting.

I should point out there is absolutely no reason why you cannot buy the aftermarket lightweight pulleys for the aircon, alternator and water pump. The Fluidampr company also makes proper aftermarket pulleys with correct harmonic balancing but so far they only make one for the FR-S in the Scion range.

#7 ·
Specifically, the lightweight pulleys are only advantageous if you have a highly tuned car. Generally, on a stock engine you won't see any difference.

Now headers are very useful, but only if you include them with a proper exhaust. You have to think of the entire exhaust system.

#8 ·
But wouldn't headers only really come into full use when you tune the ecu to compensate for them. At that point you would do intake and full exhaust and then tune for that to get the most out of it otherwise typically it doesn't do anything and could potentially throw you're AFRs all over the place

#10 ·
Thanks for the input or your opinions guys.

Although imho & experiences I'm not too worried about the LW Pulley as when they say Harmonic dampers (usually in older engines) the pulley would have this hard rubber in the middle of the pulleys.

In our newer engines that are usually now internally balanced/tuned (No rubber in the middle of our pulleys for "harmonic dampening effects) is to why I'm not too worried. This issue was also brought up in the older 1zzs in other forums that reported
Minor issues. Like dimming lights or not strong enough a/c etc. But we're later fixed.. From my past understanding it frees up HP that the engine already has from being LW rather then you gaining & Usually those people who report bad things are because they beat on their vehicles & don't drive/maintain them well.
From experiences with fam/friends doing n/a mods I can say that yes it may not be alot but like every penny.. That little HP counts.

I can say the same HP wise for the DC headers & exhaust system.. Yes the exhaust is key to the header other wise you'll just gain sound & like 1-4 hp like the 1Zs from past experiences lol. Some reported porting their headers showed same/better to no results then getting a aftermarket header.

Anyway I don't want this to turn into a debate. I just wanted opinions and or if anyone has an opinion who HAS already installed them.

#26 ·
Here is a picture on my 2009 Corolla S with the same engine and you can easily see that the pulley itself has no dampening design like you were pointing out. Looks to be all metal and internally balanced/dampened as you pointed out. I bought one of these LW NST pulleys for my 2009 Corolla S but when I decided to turbocharge it I figured it wasn't needed so I was going to sell it. Good thing I never did! Now I can use it on my iM. Several people that installed them on their 10th Gen Corollas liked the HP that they freed up giving the engine more response. Every HP matters! :D

#12 ·
#14 ·
Pulley Kit doesnt do much for a stock tuned car....You might be actual hurting the motor...since the pulleys are lighter etc..

When I had my 1st Gen tC....I bought the NST Pulley Set.....After reading reviews of others having issues w/ the motor I did not want to gamble using this...I sold it off.

#15 ·
~I honestly feel that as a negative statement.. Like saying don't remove the carbon filter because of so and so (which I hear that carbon filter will also be revamped anyway) or don't do this exhaust mod because of back pressure etc. Honestly most that report bad news are those that floor the vehicle, beat and don't maintain them like they should. Which I honestly will not be doing 247 as it is a DD.. I've got fam & friends running N/A mods such as this with no problems as they do care and maintain their cars only doing short bursts to pass traffic etc.. Being as it's only the Crank Pulley it is light it will then lessen the load for the motor to work freeing up Hp that the heavier CP would hold back others on Toyota Nation and other forums have been happy with this mod as it did give better response.. that harmonic stuff imho is irrelevant as our motors are internally balanced & if something goes wrong hey I can always throw the oem back on & wait for a fix.. As an old gear head said to me If you take the chance to buy it take the chance to experience it yourself before having wasted what could have been.

But thank you for your input/Concern.

#21 ·
I have had the NST crank pulley installed for over 3 months... zero issues. Never had the car dyno'd but at least 5-7 whp gain from the pulley alone. It's free horsepower. Doesn't hurt the engine in any way it simply frees up rotating mass. One of the cheapest safest ways to gain power on just about any vehicle and doesn't require a retune... the only time I could see a tune being needed for pullys are maybe belt driven supercharged engines, but not N\A or Turbo charged vehicles.

Performance Mods: Custom full exhaust (scuba removed), Injen Cold Air intake, NST Pulley, DC Sports Header, TB Performance traction bar & mid brace, GodSpeed Mono SS Coilolvers.

#34 ·
I just installed the DC Sports ceramic header. I didn't wrap it but I did install a Heatshield Products Armor blanket that covers the top and sides but lets it breathe better than a full wrap does.

Attachments

#41 ·
Not at all. Adding only 1 or 2 pieces doesn't help nearly as much as all 3. You must install the intake, header, and catback exhaust so that air can flow into the engine, out and exit through the exhaust. The OEM ECU has the ability to adjust more than most people know. My tuner that did the dyno run told me that. With a tune I would get even better results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.