Scion iM Forum banner

Oil filter: Cartridge or Canister

18K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  SuperchargedMR2 
#1 ·
I recently came across a video of a 2016 corolla with a canister filter:

https://youtu.be/vIJYPoEilGw

Upon further web surfing, it appears that all 2016 corollas manufactured JAN/2016 has a canister type oil filter rather than the cartridge.

My question is, has anyone looked under their iM's. To the guys that has an iM manufactured JAN/2016 and newer, is your oil filter canister or cartridge? I was just wondering if our iM's got caught in the mix. Thanks guys.

#4 ·
Cartridge type oil filter for me, but I have a few brand new OEM Toyota canister type oil filters. Looks like Toyota is switching back to the canister type filter, so the 2017 Corolla Hatchback models (iM) will probably use it. PM me if anyobody needs oil filters. The part number is 90915-YZZA1 - USA made filters instead of the cheaper versions.

#10 ·
I ordered the housing from the dealership I work at. Tell the parts guy to look up the scion im manufactured after 5/16. It's going to cost about $110.
The new corollas and apparently the ims are changing over to the spin on. I dislike the plastic and dont trust plastic for something important like the oil
Can we get a link or part#s? Thanks! :D

#19 ·
I did this mod on my 2009 Corolla S Turbo. After doing the turbo I wanted to be able to add an oil cooler and you can't do it with a canister so I swapped the parts so I could use the spin on filter and add a sandwich plate for an oil cooler.

Here are the new parts needed.

Canister vs spin on.

Here is after removing the canister filter part.

After the spin on part is installed.

Now to just spin on the filter.

#21 ·
I looked through the RF wheel to confirm my oil filter is a canister type (metal disposable can)...hard to see any of it, but I was able to just enough. At the local Toyota dealer yesterday for my VIN# 2017 Toyota Corolla iM, the filter they sold me is: 90915-YZZF2. Has anyone used this on their iM...just wish to confirm.

BTW...I did a little digging around and the UPC code mfg for Toyota 0w-20 oil is Mobil. I can post details if anyone is interested...

Thanks,

Rob
2017 Toyota Corolla iM

#22 ·
All of the 2017 Corolla iM's have the spin on filter. The change over happened in the 2016 model year so some Scion iM's might have the canister type during the early release months.

#24 ·
I just changed my oil at 640 miles on the engine, switched in Mobil 1 extended performance oil. I have a 2017 and it is not a cartridge! Which i am very happy about, it is a traditional spin oil filter. The plastic filter housings with cartridges are commonly broken after several oil changes, and possibly sooner if the technician or yourself is not familiar with them.

#25 ·
Wow! This is just sad, why did Toyota do this? I have this plastic cartridge thing and it did get broken once already. Apparently Toyota dealers are better trained to use them, I went to a local Valvoline express place and they broke a few plastic ribs. They ordered me a new one for free though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.