Scion iM Forum banner

The Air Intake Thread

126K views 214 replies 56 participants last post by  SuperchargedMR2 
#1 ·
This thread is for your air intake mods and general discussion.

I'll start with my first mod. On the left is the charcoal / carbon filter from an older car. On the right is the filter from a newer car. As you can see over time it gets clogged up pretty badly.

Good idea to have this unserviceable filter removed from the air intake box? Absolutely! :)

See less See more
#4 ·
It's just a panel air filter replacement like a K&N but I like it. Makes the throttle a bit more responsive, the car feels slighly peppier, and there is some added engine / cabin noise (I have the 6spd so this is more than welcome as before I could barely hear the engine). I prefer to hear the engine than to have to look at the tach to figure RPM.

#7 ·
Here is a diagram of the stock intake. #8 is the inlet tube. That design can't be good for flow.

Awesome picture! I was wondering what that snorkel dipped down into... It looks like you have to remove the headlight to get to that U-Joint though. Do you have access to a tech manual that would show how to remove the headlight? I would like to remove that U-Joint completely as it all just kind of snaps together.

Could i use a Corolla intake since its same engine? Or does it have to be iM?
I had actually ordered a Corolla HPS shortram intake, but canceled the order after I got the car and saw the design of the stock airbox. The stock airbox actually draws cold air from the front of the car. Every shortram intake I have seen for the Corolla's is on back order, but more importantly the cone filter is drawing air from right behind the intake manifold much closer to the header / backside of the engine. There would be almost no performance gain what so ever. The cold air intakes I have seen from the Corolla go into the fender well through a hole that doesn't look like it would line up on our cars.

#15 ·
Cha-ching... had to remove the battery, and cut some of the plastic crap to get it out but the factory airbox is definitely as free flowing as it's going to get at this point. I like that it is still drawing air coming from the front of the car.

Attachments

Reactions: G6-R and igs
#18 ·
Following in the footsteps of Mr Prescott I also did the airbox mod. As you can see from the pictures below the air intake actually comes from a small circular opening which connects to a hole at the bottom of the engine bay. This hole is much smaller than the opening in the air filter box.

Results:
- At full throttle intake sound is much louder
- This mod plus the charcoal filter removal alone improved 0-60 times by over half a second, can't wait to start doing some exhaust mods!

#24 ·
That's funny... I bet it's literally the same exact thing some of us have already modded our air boxes into. I do like the red hose though.

#26 ·
Look at page 1. There is a post filter in the top part of the air box that a few of us have removed as well as replaced the stock air filter with either the TRD panel filter or the K&N

#30 ·
I appreciate the offer and hope someone takes you up on it, but they're a one time deal. Just need to clean them every so often... HOWEVER, if you can get a hook up on the TRD air filter cleaning kit... I'll definitely take you up on it. I have not ordered one yet. PM me. Where are you located?

When the "TRD Box" comes out I may want to get one... we'll see. Depends on if you can buy the snorkel, and red silicone hose separate or not. Are you on the Facebook page yet? "Scion iM Enthusiasts"

#31 · (Edited)
Thanks to posts/pictures by igs, Nick, & others, I finally got #8 out with about 30 minutes of wrestling that thing. It wasn't easy and does require a lot of effort since #8 is larger than it first appears (see attached pic). I took my battery out, unscrewed the ground lug, and disconnected the black plastic wire holding tray from the battery bracket, which I think was necessary to get the needed clearance.

For others that want to do this, note that the U shaped piece is not hard plastic and is instead some flexible cardboard/cloth like material. When I finally got the whole thing out, the U shaped piece was pushed in on the bottom (see attached pic) from forcing it out and the hard plastic was gouged in a couple of places. I removed the large rubber cap on the back of the headlight since it seemed to prevent #8 from easily coming out (not sure if that was really needed, but seemed like a good idea). I pulled the round end that attaches to the air box toward the front/middle of the car and then sort of twisted/pulled up/pulled out/wiggled the whole thing until it finally came out. Toward the end, I was afraid I might break something other than #8 , but, I felt I was already at the point of no return and gave a few aggressive pulls, which freed it.

I also removed the carbon filter and installed a K&N air filter (same as the Corolla) and now it sounds a lot better from inside the car above 3,000 rpms. It reminds me of the sound that the Ford Focus ST makes with its sound symposer that ports induction sound into the cabin.

Attachments

#37 ·
Isn't there some way to get around it? Can't you just run some illegal intake and be good to go?

I know if your vehicle looks obviously modified from the exterior you will attract cop attention, especially if its a Honda. But on these.. I don't think it'll happen to the same extent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.