29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 141 Old 02-05-2020, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsScion1600 View Post
The same thing happened to me but in about a month or so it was back in stock. I got mine from Amazon. Hot seller I guess. I have had it installed and sounds so good 🙂 definitely makes the car just a tad less responsive in take off acceleration and down low but if you combine it with a header it takes on a whole new level of performance thru the whole rpm range. I say go for it bro.
I love the sound of it. I don't notice any less responsiveness. In fact, I noticed a nice increase across the entire rev band. Do you have a CVT? Mine is a 6MT so that might be the cause. The CVT is more sluggish of the line in comparison to the 6MT.

89 Supercharged White MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S TURBO CSM 5MT
17 Corolla iM CSM 6MT/ 17 RAV4 XLE MGM
95 Previa S/C White AT/06 Scion xB MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 141 Old 02-06-2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
After install, I have to say thathat the muffler tip turns black after a while of use and idk how the center gasket will hold up over time so gotta keep that in mind too but overall well worth the money. You wont be disappointed.
I was thinking about getting a better looking tip. Even the OEM tip looks better IMO. I might have the DNA tip cut off and the OEM tip welded on. The 2 gaskets that came with the kit I put exhaust paste on them before bolting everything together. I was told many years ago to do that and it will prevent any failures later down the road.

post #133 of 141 Old 02-06-2020, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I dhave a CVT cuz I couldn't find a 6MT for sale in my area but after i/h/e, pulley, plugs and leads, I got a nice jump down low so it didn't bother me for long. I though about do the exhaust tip swap when i got the exhaust and considering do it at one point in the future. I also did the paste. Always have but I'm still worried about the material of the gasket itself. I'll probably get one custom made at some point.

post #134 of 141 Old 02-06-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I dhave a CVT cuz I couldn't find a 6MT for sale in my area but after i/h/e, pulley, plugs and leads, I got a nice jump down low so it didn't bother me for long. I though about do the exhaust tip swap when i got the exhaust and considering do it at one point in the future. I also did the paste. Always have but I'm still worried about the material of the gasket itself. I'll probably get one custom made at some point.
So you installed a header too? I've thought about that but haven't looked into it. How do you like your lightweight pulley? I've got one for it too but haven't installed it yet. What did you do different with plugs and what are leads? If I couldn't find a 6MT I would continue to look farther away, no CVT for me......ever!!

post #135 of 141 Old 02-06-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedMR2 View Post
Quote:
So you installed a header too? I've thought about that but haven't looked into it. How do you like your lightweight pulley? I've got one for it too but haven't installed it yet. What did you do different with plugs and what are leads? If I couldn't find a 6MT I would continue to look farther away, no CVT for me......ever!! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/ScionIMForum/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]
I hear ya about the CVT. It's my first automatic transmission so it takes getting used to. I do have a header and I wish I did that first before either the intake or catback in the combo. Much more torque down low and pulls harder up high. I highly recommend it for sure. Problem was getting the old manifold out lol had to rotate it as I pulled it out otherwise it'd get stuck.

I do have the pulley as well and I love it. I've heard people say that it can cause vibration problems since our cars dont have balance shafts in the crankcase and not powering the alternator well either. I have had no problems at all and I dont feel any increase in vibration or decrease in say my headlight brightness. Pulls much harder down low 😄

Shorter gap plugs provide a better spark in the combustion chamber. Autolite XP plugs have a a gap of .035 while the stock ones have .045. Simple mod and install but worth it, really helps smoothness of acceleration more than anything. Leads are ignition wires. In other words what transfers the current that leads to the coil and then to the plug. Stock ignition leads are 8guage thickness and MSD leads are 8.5 guage. The extra thickness provides more insulation from electrical noise which can interfere with the current. In return it strengthens the spark itself.

Last edited by mpsScion1600; 02-06-2020 at 06:17 PM.
post #136 of 141 Old 02-06-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I hear ya about the CVT. It's my first automatic transmission so it takes getting used to. I do have a header and I wish I did that first before either the intake or catback in the combo. Much more torque down low and pulls harder up high. I highly recommend it for sure. Problem was getting the old manifold out lol had to rotate it as I pulled it out otherwise it'd get stuck.

I do have the pulley as well and I love it. I've heard people say that it can cause vibration problems since our cars dont have balance shafts in the crankcase and not powering the alternator well either. I have had no problems at all and I dont feel any increase in vibration or decrease in say my headlight brightness. Pulls much harder down low 😄

Shorter gap plugs provide a better spark in the combustion chamber. Autolite XP plugs have a a gap of .035 while the stock ones have .045. Simple mod and install but worth it, really helps smoothness of acceleration more than anything. Leads are ignition wires. In other words what transfers the current that leads to the coil and then to the plug. Stock ignition leads are 8guage thickness and MSD leads are 8.5 guage. The extra thickness provides more insulation from electrical noise which can interfere with the current. In return it strengthens the spark itself.
What brand of headers do you have? I'll look into those.

The pulley should be fine. Our cars don't have a harmonic balancer on the OEM crank pulley and as long as the pulley is balanced, which they are they should cause no problems. The OEM pulley has a small rubber strip in it and they say that it will dry out and cause more issues after 50k miles then a nicely balanced lightweight pulley.

I would never use Autolite plugs on a Toyota. Way too many reports of misfires with them. The rule of thumb is to stay with Denso or NGK plugs and they are said to be of much better quality. You can still gap them down if you want. I had to gap my plugs down to .032 for my 2009 Corolla S Turbo when I was boosting it. I still run the OEM Denso plugs and it runs great. The iM doesn't have ignition leads since it's a coil over plug design so I'm not sure what you are talking about when it comes to the leads. There are no plug leads to replace like on cars with a distributor.

post #137 of 141 Old 02-06-2020, 07:27 PM

4-2-1 DC Sports ceramic header. I love it. I've used Autolites on all of my Toyotas. Never had problems at all. MSD "wiring harness" I guess is the politically correct term.
post #138 of 141 Old 02-07-2020, 03:04 AM

Quote:
4-2-1 DC Sports ceramic header. I love it. I've used Autolites on all of my Toyotas. Never had problems at all. MSD "wiring harness" I guess is the politically correct term.
Why would you change the plugs already from the OEM Denso plugs? They are good for 120k miles. I would still stick with them as there is a lot of evidence that the Denso and NGK plugs are better. Where did you get the header? I'm curious about the MSD wiring harness. Any links so I can learn about it?

post #139 of 141 Old 02-07-2020, 03:12 AM

Quote:
I've tried to look up the MSD wiring harness but they are all in relation to using MSD ignition parts which wouldn't work with the iM from what I can tell. Curious as to what you found and hooked up.

post #140 of 141 Old 02-08-2020, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
If you guys don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your DNA exhaust? Ebay restocked and is selling it for $186.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion iM Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page