6-Speed Manual or CVTi-S 7-Speed Automatic? - Page 2 - Scion iM Forum
View Poll Results: 6-Speed Manual or CVTi-S 7-Speed Automatic?
6-Speed Manual 18 60.00%
CVTi-S 7-Speed Automatic 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 05-11-2015, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
SiM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha View Post
I'd like to learn how to drive one, but I'm not sure I would want to own one, at least not with a car like the iM. Maybe in a little roadster or something like that.
that's the best way to go about it
not everyone loves driving a manual so much that they can do it 24/7 365, having it in a car made for fun like a Miata is preferred and what manuals will be limited too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 07-03-2015, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I suspect I'll go with the CVT if I buy the iM. I much prefer a manual transmission, and it wouldn't even be a contest if I didn't live in the DC metro area. But traffic around here is soul-sucking, and you spend so much time crawling and jumping from one light to the next one that an automatic makes life so much easier. But if I test-drive the 6MT and I like it, who knows...and I'm glad they're offering hill-start assist on the iM, unlike the Corolla. It's not a huge deal, but it's good insurance given how people like to ride your bumper in DC.
post #13 of 22 Old 10-23-2015, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Anyone with the CVT wish they went with a six speed?

Last edited by Scion; 10-23-2015 at 12:15 AM.

post #14 of 22 Old 10-23-2015, 02:58 AM
igs

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
Anyone with the CVT wish they went with a six speed?
I got the CVT. My previous car was a manual.

Manual has the definitive advantage of launching from a stop. I suppose you could also launch the CVT but I haven't tried and don't expect it to be as good as the manual anyway.

The CVT shifts very fast. Going through the gears is like an F1 car but without the paddles (this car would be awesome with paddles). So once you're going there's no way the manual can keep up - upshifting and downshifting through corners.

If you want to drag race go with the manual. If you want to road race go with the CVT.
post #15 of 22 Old 10-23-2015, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
SiM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Funny, this is playing out like a poll you'd find on a BMW or Audi forum, both transmissions are just about tied with CVT falling one point back.

post #16 of 22 Old 10-24-2015, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
I cant drive manual because I have bad anxiety attacks. I tried learning a few times but every time I freaked out and had to stop. When I got my iM my dad showed me how to drive it in M mode and it was a whole lot easier and enjoyable for some one like me because I didnt have to worry about the clutch or stalling out at a red light or other issues you deal with when driving a manual. Now (every now and then) I throw it in M mode and try my hand at shifting manually and yeah it is pretty fun especially with my 8" shifter, lol.

Check out my garage for info on my 2016 Scion iM black sand pearl "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
".

Come join the largest iM group on Facebook! Click here to join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #17 of 22 Old 10-25-2015, 07:06 PM
DBB

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
exactly, thats why were seeing the rise of DCT in performance cars. clutches are intimidating, and DCTS lower the barriers to entry...
post #18 of 22 Old 10-26-2015, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Automatic because I can't drive manual and I don't really want to shift a lot when I'm stuck in traffic.
post #19 of 22 Old 10-26-2015, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBB View Post
exactly, thats why were seeing the rise of DCT in performance cars. clutches are intimidating, and DCTS lower the barriers to entry...
Fuel economy and also the autonomous vehicle tech are some things also that play into the bigger game plan for the industry. Manuals just don't make sense for the high volume mainstream vehicles of the future.
post #20 of 22 Old 01-10-2016, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know what the transmission code is for the 6 speed manual in the iM? I'm pretty sure it's on the sticker in the drivers side door place. I would check myself but mine is a CVT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion iM Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page