Spare / Replacement flip key - Scion iM Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-30-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Spare / Replacement flip key

Has anyone gotten a duplicate flip key made? If so, where did you get it and what was the approx cost?

-16 IM CVT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-30-2018, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcomer View Post
Has anyone gotten a duplicate flip key made? If so, where did you get it and what was the approx cost?
This can only be done at the dealership or an authorized reseller. The keys are encoded to the car and take a special program to do so.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-06-2020, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fob Copy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcomer View Post
Batteries Plus wanted to charge 180 for a refurbished used and 220 for new I'm forget if they include programming/cloning. I don't bothered with the dealer. My plan is to order the blades (2 for $8)and then order used fob($56-$100) over eBay. Get the blade cut at the locksmith($5 per key), swap the old blade (check YouTube for instructions)on the eBay fob, then add the new key to the ECU using my buddies' Toyota Techstream. All said and done of this work could be well under a $100.

I'll keep update in the coming weeks as the parts roll in.

post #4 of 4 Old 03-09-2020, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok total for this project came out as follows. 2 blank blades from Amazon For $9, one "Laser Cut"(not cut with laser, uses special key cutting milling machine) key cost at local lock smith $30/key. 1 Used keyfob (HYQ12BFA) mine had a Toyota logo but still worked after programming, $56. I pushed out the retainer pin to remove the old blade from the used fob and replaced it with the "Laser Cut" key blade. Ran through the the Toyota Techstream and was able to get it regestered to the car. Total cost for me was $95.

Pretty good considering the other sources giving me a price of the fob well over $160 just a used fob.
not including cutting and programming.

Note that key blade I got from Amazon had a slightly imprecise hole that required me to drill the blade with a 1/16" bit using the fob blade holder section as a drill guide.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion iM Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page