Audio Install - Scion iM Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By have2ride
  • 1 Post By davect01
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-16-2017, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Audio Install

I've always typically replaced the factory radios in my vehicles as I've found them lacking. Is there anything I need to know in regards to the install on a 2018 iM? It seems similar to the 2017 iM. I would also like to keep the factory backup camera and steering wheel controls. Is there a way to keep the factory USB and AUX ports?
jwoodfin1989 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 12-16-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Additional note

I'm thinking of using a Kenwood Excelon DNX893S, by the way.
jwoodfin1989 is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 12-17-2017, 02:00 AM
Senior Member
 
have2ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
I explained all of these things in my Audio upgrade topic. You need to get iDatalink Maestro RR to retain all your factory USB, steering wheel controls and rear camera. You also need to buy Toyota specific harness to connect Maestro RR unit. 2016-2018 iMs are pretty much the same as far as audio H/U go.

https://www.scionimforum.com/forum/el...o-upgrade.html

What makes DNX893S better than Excelon 9904S?

Current:
2018 Buick Regal Sportback FWD

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX
have2ride is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old 12-17-2017, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just liked the price and features of the DNX893S. It adds NAV, which even though my iPhone has apps, I find it laggy at times. It's only an extra 100 dollars for NAV. The unit contains everything that 9904s does though, except for dash cam functionality.
jwoodfin1989 is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 12-17-2017, 11:20 PM
Senior Member
 
have2ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodfin1989 View Post
I just liked the price and features of the DNX893S. It adds NAV, which even though my iPhone has apps, I find it laggy at times. It's only an extra 100 dollars for NAV. The unit contains everything that 9904s does though, except for dash cam functionality.
Did you actually use their NAV? I was so excited to have a Pioneer unit with NAV, but then I found out it was laggy, slow and just plain terrible to use. So I just keep using my iPhone for navigation and I love it. Kenwood is using Garmin navigation software, so it is most likely better than Pioneer.
davect01 likes this.

Current:
2018 Buick Regal Sportback FWD

Past:
2016 Scion iM 6MT
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX
have2ride is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 12-18-2017, 10:23 AM
Senior Member
 
davect01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 1,194
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by have2ride View Post
Did you actually use their NAV? I was so excited to have a Pioneer unit with NAV, but then I found out it was laggy, slow and just plain terrible to use. So I just keep using my iPhone for navigation and I love it. Kenwood is using Garmin navigation software, so it is most likely better than Pioneer.
Good to know
davect01 is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 01-17-2019, 07:15 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I recently did a lot of research in order to gather all the parts needed for the head unit upgrade in my 2016 Scion IM, so I though I'd share the wealth. I was so tired of the stock head unit's limited functionality, poor Bluetooth connection, and outdated entune app that I decided to upgrade to a double din head unit with Apple car play (also works with android auto jik i decide to switch phones in the future). The parts needed in order to integrate the new head unit into all the factory systems without hacking up the harness is quite extensive but it's doable. The only OEM feature I wasn't able to retain was the microphone but the new radio came with a replacement that was super easy to install. All in all I spent about $427 to do the upgrade and it was well worth it. My parts list and pricing is as follow:


Sony XAV-AX5000 - head unit - $273.42
Metra 95-8202 - Dash Kit - $10
Metra ISOPK - Screw Pack - $4
PAC RP4.2-TY11 - steering wheel controls Interface - $85
idataLink Maestro ACC-USB-TO2 - OEM USB port Retention harness - $25 (have yet to receive or test this. Does note retain AUX port)
Metra 40-LX11 - Antenna Adapter - $7
PAC CAM-TY12 - Backup Camera Cable - $20
Male RCA to Dual Femal RCA Y Cable - $3


Hope this helps!

Last edited by jcptaquito; 01-17-2019 at 07:22 PM.
jcptaquito is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 01-18-2019, 12:42 PM
Senior Member
 
davect01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 1,194
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcptaquito View Post
I recently did a lot of research in order to gather all the parts needed for the head unit upgrade in my 2016 Scion IM, so I though I'd share the wealth. I was so tired of the stock head unit's limited functionality, poor Bluetooth connection, and outdated entune app that I decided to upgrade to a double din head unit with Apple car play (also works with android auto jik i decide to switch phones in the future). The parts needed in order to integrate the new head unit into all the factory systems without hacking up the harness is quite extensive but it's doable. The only OEM feature I wasn't able to retain was the microphone but the new radio came with a replacement that was super easy to install. All in all I spent about $427 to do the upgrade and it was well worth it. My parts list and pricing is as follow:


Sony XAV-AX5000 - head unit - $273.42
Metra 95-8202 - Dash Kit - $10
Metra ISOPK - Screw Pack - $4
PAC RP4.2-TY11 - steering wheel controls Interface - $85
idataLink Maestro ACC-USB-TO2 - OEM USB port Retention harness - $25 (have yet to receive or test this. Does note retain AUX port)
Metra 40-LX11 - Antenna Adapter - $7
PAC CAM-TY12 - Backup Camera Cable - $20
Male RCA to Dual Femal RCA Y Cable - $3


Hope this helps!
Good info :-)
jcptaquito likes this.
davect01 is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 05-28-2019, 06:20 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Seilling my Carplay/android audio setup - $450 Shipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcptaquito View Post
I recently did a lot of research in order to gather all the parts needed for the head unit upgrade in my 2016 Scion IM, so I thought I'd share the wealth. I was so tired of the stock head unit's limited functionality, poor Bluetooth connection, and outdated entune app that I decided to upgrade to a double din head unit with Apple car play (also works with android auto jik I decide to switch phones in the future). The parts needed in order to integrate the new head unit into all the factory systems without hacking up the harness is quite extensive but it's doable. The only OEM feature I wasn't able to retain was the microphone but the new radio came with a replacement that was super easy to install. All in all, I spent about $427 to do the upgrade and it was well worth it. My parts list and pricing is as follow:

Dual - head unit - $273.42
Metra 95-8202 - Dash Kit - $10
Metra ISOPK - Screw Pack - $4
PAC RP4.2-TY11 - steering wheel controls Interface - $85
idataLink Maestro ACC-USB-TO2 - OEM USB port Retention harness - $25
Metra 40-LX11 - Antenna Adapter - $7
PAC CAM-TY12 - Backup Camera Cable - $20
Male RCA to Dual Female RCA Y Cable - $3


Hope this helps!
I bought a new car so I'm selling my setup if anybody is interested. All wired up and ready to plug-and-play. $450 Shipped

Last edited by jcptaquito; 05-28-2019 at 06:28 PM.
jcptaquito is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Scion iM Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List




Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome