Scion iM Forum banner

A New European Auris

11K views 34 replies 7 participants last post by  LeeMarkus 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
Looks like the 2019 iM will have that 'open mouth' front grill that you either hate or like. Headlight design/shape is also sort of bizarre looking (to me) on first impression. The front grill shape reminds me of the the iA, but not nearly as bad. Opting for black, would blend that front into the design better though. Not sure how I feel about that 'decorative' exhaust outlet design bringing up the rear though. I tend to prefer the traditional round exhaust tips over the overdone shaped ones that some cars have. At least the shaped ones pictured are rather compact/unassuming & not stupidly large like I have seen on certain Acura's, etc.

I hope that Toyota carries through with its promise to release hybrid versions of most models in the US - and this is one of them.

#3 ·
Looks like the 2019 iM will have that 'open mouth' front grill that you either hate or like. Headlight design/shape is also sort of bizarre looking (to me) on first impression. The front grill shape reminds me of the the iA, but not nearly as bad. Opting for black, would blend that front into the design better though. Not sure how I feel about that 'decorative' exhaust outlet design bringing up the rear though. I tend to prefer the traditional round exhaust tips over the overdone shaped ones that some cars have. At least the shaped ones pictured are rather compact/unassuming & not stupidly large like I have seen on certain Acura's, etc.

I hope that Toyota carries through with its promise to release hybrid versions of most models - and this is one of them.

More grown up in style

We still are waiting to see what the American version will be

#6 ·
I love the design, but where are the interior pictures? That's what I care about the most. Rear end looks like Opel/Buick, but it's OK.

#7 ·
I'll have to wait until I see it in person but at first glance it looks okay but I like the cleaner, simpler lines of my current iM at first glance. The front end I like 10x better on my iM and I'm not an instant fan of the way it swoops up to the rear of the car. Hate the huge front intake grill. Back is okay but still over done at first glance. Will just have to see what changes the NA Corolla iM have.

Reactions: stvotw
#8 · (Edited)
I think that the front headlight/bumper/grill design is the weak link on both the current iM & what is pictured for the 2019 Auris/iM (especially with no factory fog lights on the current model making those big empty black plastic cutouts on right/left front look ridiculous). Toyota seems to have aesthetics problems in the front design area, across all their models now, more or less. Makes black the best paint color choice really, to help blend those ill-conceived front fascias with the rest of the car. I really wish now that I would have opted for black paint on my 2015 Yaris SE, hellhole Arizona sun or not. :D

I couldn't imagine buying the 2018 refresh SE Yaris in anything but black, to blend/conceal that front design & the two black plastic reflector cutouts in the rear bumper. If I decide not to go with a 2019 Auris/iM, that would be my next runner-up, along with possibly a 2018 iM in either barcelona red or black.

#20 ·
I'm not a huge fan of the front grill/design (It looks disturbingly derived from the fugly little iA), but nothing that buying the car in black won't fix via same-color blending.

#21 ·
Just my two cents

1- The Scion and Toyota iM have a unique look, this new Corolla hatch looks just like every other hatch. More mainstream may make it more appealing, but it is losing a bit of character. No option packages were a thing that Scion was known for, but moving forward there will be models and packages just like other Toyota's.
I really dislike both the Toyota droppy front emblem thing and Honda's Chrome overbite thing. What are they thinking?

2- A much better engine choice. Sounds stronger and lighter. I bought this car for the 32-35 MPG for my 30ish one-way commute, I wonder what this new one will be. I would love for a performance 250 HP variant, but at least this is a better start point. Perhaps it will catch more tuner attention now.

3- I like that Toyota seems to recognize that one of the strong points of the Scion iM was the chassis and is claiming to make it even better.

4- One of my other reason for getting the Scion iM was that is was built in Japan. Having had a horrible last car I was really looking for a car that I could own for 15ish years. I wonder where this one is gonna be made.

5- FINALLY Toyota is realizing people want Apple Car Play (but no Android Auto yet).

#23 · (Edited)
1. To be honest, I don't care about the looks much. It looks modern and new-ish, it has standard LED headlights. New 2017+ Honda Civic looks way overdesigned, new Corolla hatch actually looks much cleaner than Civic hatch.

2. I agree on the engine part. It will be around 170-180 horses, which is great considering what we have now.

3. Sure thing.

4. We don't know yet, but I am guessing Japan again or Europe. I also really like that our iM is made in Japan. It is rare for economy/small cars these days.

5. CarPlay is seriously overrated. Just buy a vent phone holder and whoa, you don't need CarPlay anymore. I have CarPlay on my aftermarket stereo and I never use it.

Since JBL audio is only offered with a CVT and since there is no 2-DIN slot available, I will be upgrading to 2020 Civic Sport 6MT hatchback, since Metra makes a 2-DIN adapter for it. Civic will have its mid-cycle refresh in 2020. I dislike how Civic looks, especially up front, but it drives great, its price is cheap (around $18k with a discount) and it has a 180 hp turbo engine. Civic hatch is made in the UK, engine is made in India, transmission is made in Vietnam. I was smiling when I looked at the door sticker. Also it is possible that mid-cycle refreshed 2020 Civic hatch will look a bit better than it does right now.

Another option would be to dump the manual and get a 2019 Avalon or a 2019 Acura RDX. The main reason I bought my iM was because it was a manual transmission hatchback with an easily upgrade-able stereo system. I would be happy with a 2019 Corolla SE 6MT hatch w/JBL. But Toyota decided people like me are not important, so now Toyota is going to lose me as a 2019 Corolla customer. I hated complicated highly-integrated close-to-impossible audio upgrade on 2016 Accord, I am not doing it all over again.

#24 ·
From first viewing I still like my current iM from a looks standpoint. I'll have to reserve final thoughts for when I can see it with my own eyes. I for sure don't like the new front grill, way too big.

Reactions: davect01
#26 · (Edited)
I can see myself picking up one of the 2019 XSE 'Corolla' hatches in black, dark gray or perhaps even barcelona red sometime early next year. Outside of changing the Corolla badge on the rear to an OEM Auris badge, and adding premium-grade heat/UV blocking 32-35% window tint to all side/rear windows, I don't really see any other modifications being needed. If previous numbers hold up, 35 people will still opt for the Corolla sedan for every 'Corolla' (iM) hatch sold, especially when the all-new Corolla sedan makes its debut in 2020. Most Americans only like hatches in the form of Crossovers/SUVs.

My biggest disappointment is that Toyota still spits on the U.S. market for releasing this vehicle (or a Yaris) in the hybrid version. We are stuck with only the various Prius abominations.

#33 · (Edited)
My U.S. 2019 Corolla Hatch initial impressions after reading/watching around what is out there currently on the net:

- General body shape, lines & proportions are nice - this car will look really nice in black.
- LED DRL design looks pretty good/elegant, on otherwise odd-shaped headlights.
- Modern, LED headlights.
- Side-mirror signal indicators - should be standard passive safety feature on EVERY vehicle.
- Factory OEM fog-lights (unlike current U.S.-spec iM model)
- OEM alloy wheel design on both SE & XSE are solid.
- Rear bumper reflectors have NICE vertical design & integration into the body/bumper styling. Looks great.
- Rear tail lights have a nice, hawkish look to them, with LED lights.
- Standard body-colored 'shark-fin' antenna
- has a nice, wide, sporty crouching stance.
- No crazy, overdone lower body kit like the current iM hatch sports.
- New 2.0 liter engine isn't turbo-crap, and looks to be shooting for a better balance between decently 'spunky' acceleration & practical MPG economy.
- The new-design CVT automatic with unique integrated single launch gear is interesting on paper. Wonder how it will play out in the real world for both feel & reliability?

Dislikes:
- Front grill shape/design reminds me a bit too much of the fugly little iA. I would HAVE to buy black (or dark gray) to blend it out with car. At least there is a body-colored piece bringing up the bottom of the front grill, to help minimize the 'gaping maw' effect if you opt for another color besides black.
- The molded, fake 'dual-exhaust' chrome trim pieces on lower rear bumper are a bit cheesy/tacky and overdone. The real exhaust is single outlet and hidden underneath the bumper (like on the current Civic or ILX, for example).
- The tablet touchscreen standing up on the dashboard looks stupid.
- More 'Safety Sense' tech nonsense for distracted, drunk and dementia drivers.
- The oversized rear spoiler on XSE, poking up at a bizarre 45 degree angle. Not so bad from the straight back view, but stupid-looking from the side angles. A bit too juvenile really, overall.
- 18" wheels (XSE) are a bit oversized really for car this size, while the 16" wheels (SE) are not quite large enough. Toyota should have stuck with the 'sweet spot' 17" wheels on both. I bet that the ultra-low profile tires (40 series?) on the 18" wheels are a jarring nightmare to drive on most crappy, poorly-maintained U.S. roads.
- Blue color featured in pics below looks horrible and gaudy. Something for 'look at me!' high-school drivers & teenagers?

#34 ·
Corolla Hatchback’s color range includes the new-for-2019 color Rival Blue, as well as Blizzard Pearl, Silver Metallic, Midnight Black, Galactic Aqua Mica, Scarlet, and Oxide Bronze.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.