Scion Audio and USB media - Scion iM Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-08-2016, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Scion Audio and USB media

Hello, group. Just got my new Scion iM 6M 2016 and love it.
I wonder if anyone has experienced playing, say MP3 files off of USB key, plugged in the USB port.
I tried formatting my USB as NTFS and later as FAT32, but the USB wouldn't appear as one of the available items on the source list.
I connected my old IPod through USB port and it worked. So the port works, but i'm not even sure if it charges. I also connected Nexus 5X though USB and it didn't recognize it as an Audio source either. Of course it works when I connect it through Bluetooth and select it as an Audio device...
So, to sum up my question: can one play music off of a USB key plugged in a USB port?
Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-08-2016, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
It does charge, not quickly but it has enough juice to run a hub with both an iPod and a key hooked up to it.

You clearly haven't looked at the manual for the headunit if you're looking for an answer about formatting. I don't have it in front of me and would rather not give any conflicting/wrong info here but your answer lies there. I think I went exfat on mine but I'm not sure. If for whatever reason you're missing the manual (I was missing the regular owner's manual personally), just let me know and I'll give you a scan of the relevant page(s).

Have you given it any time to process the contents of the key? The bigger the key, the longer the cataloging job. However, I reckon it gives a prompt to tell you it's doing it.

Your phone being recognized as a media device through USB is a different matter altogether. You have to select an adequate USB mode on your phone but I don't see why you'd go through that trouble when it's so much easier to route audio through BT. Just get a slim 12v socket adapter and have something that's capable of fast-charging your phone instead.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-08-2016, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for a quick reply!
BT is the way to go hands down. I connected the phone through USB simply to test compatibility, as my USB key didn't work.
I now tried exFAT, FAT32 and NTFS... USB icon stays greyed out and USB key is not recognized.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-08-2016, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I use a USB key and it works. The only issue I have is that there's no option to browse or sort by folder (either that or I can't find it)

My USB is FAT32 and I haven't formatted it.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-08-2016, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Yes. FAT32 is the answer. I finally got mine working. Here is a link to a more detailed explanation from a Honda user:
How to Format a USB Thumb Drive for Your Car: A Solution to a Nagging Problem ? Doug Haslam

Thank you for your replies.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-29-2016, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Garage
I also use a USB Thumb Drive to carry my music around and was wondering if anyone found a way to skip to next song? I have the standard Pioneer unit. My wife is more tech savy than me
and she said maybe your unit is bad. She can't believe you can't skip to the next song.

2016 Silver Scion iM
2011 Nissan Frontier
2016 Subaru Forester (Wife's Car)

Last edited by ovmech; 05-29-2016 at 07:56 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-05-2016, 12:08 PM

Garage
USB Skip to next song FIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovmech View Post
I also use a USB Thumb Drive to carry my music around and was wondering if anyone found a way to skip to next song? I have the standard Pioneer unit. My wife is more tech savy than me
and she said maybe your unit is bad. She can't believe you can't skip to the next song.

Changing USB stick to a SanDisk Cruzer Facet USB 2.0 Flash Drive (16GB) fixed the problem I was having. Now I can skip songs

2016 Silver Scion iM
2011 Nissan Frontier
post #8 of 10 Old 06-06-2016, 07:51 PM

Garage
Failed to fix Skip to next song and on we go.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovmech View Post
Changing USB stick to a SanDisk Cruzer Facet USB 2.0 Flash Drive (16GB) fixed the problem I was having. Now I can skip songs

I thought I had it but when I plugged in the new USB stick it worked. Select browse and then pick a song and it does not work again. I did notice a random icon in the list of songs and selecting it I can skip. But it skips in random. I want to go top to bottom of list or bottom to top and pick up on song I left off on. Maybe asking to much of this system but my Pioneer in my truck works like that with a USB stick. Loop is what I'm looking for.

2016 Silver Scion iM
2011 Nissan Frontier
post #9 of 10 Old 04-11-2017, 12:30 PM

USB not reading song files correctly

I've had my iM for a month now. I love using the USB so I can play anything from my music collection however it doesn't seem to read it correctly. I have even completely wiped the USB, went through the music on my computer and then resaved it all on the USB. The problem I run into is that even though every song file has an artist and genre the head unit in the car doesn't recognize them all. If I want to play all the music by one artist I have to play some under their name and then find the rest in "Unknown Artist". The same with the genre, I can play a bunch of dance music from the Dance folder but have to find some of it under "Unknown Genre".
I've checked the files, tried everything I can think of, this is really annoying!
Anyone else have this problem? Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks
post #10 of 10 Old 06-18-2017, 05:01 PM
MIKE_31O

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
First off you gotta use the san disk USBs, I got the really small nub one in 64GB and its reading about 1,900 songs at this time. When you first install the usb it can take up to 10min to catalog all the song info. Make sure to be patient, it will eventually list them all. Random works great, tons of tunes, it always helps to get the best quality mp3s, the ones that sound good sound really good in my iM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion iM Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page