2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 03-11-2016, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Scion plug in GPS from Toyota?

One of the few "custom" accessories for our iM's is the GPS from Toyota. I'm assuming it is a plug in hardware part inside the dash somewhere or a transfer of data to the head unit to have all maps, voices, etc. available at anytime. It retails for $900 from the dealership! Did anyone purchase this and have it installed at the dealership? Or know anything about it or where to get it cheaper?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-11-2016, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
I believe its software, since we have a screen HUD
post #3 of 24 Old 03-11-2016, 03:01 PM
SiM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Someone I know wanted to get it but later decided to get a tablet to have displayed, for them it just worked out better.

post #4 of 24 Old 03-11-2016, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Why buy that when you could use Waze or GoogleMaps on your smartphone? There is no way that navigation software is better than GoogleMaps, and GoogleMaps is free as long as you have a smartphone to use it on.
post #5 of 24 Old 03-11-2016, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello Josh,

The item is called "Premium Audio", part number PT296-12160 (Extension Module w/ AHA). It's an add-on that fits just under the factory stereo (inside). This converts your factory stereo into a BeSpoke™. I looked into it as well, they told me $900. I will just use Siri instead.

Jeff
Joshewwwahhh likes this.
post #6 of 24 Old 03-12-2016, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Brooks View Post
Hello Josh,

The item is called "Premium Audio", part number PT296-12160 (Extension Module w/ AHA). It's an add-on that fits just under the factory stereo (inside). This converts your factory stereo into a BeSpoke™. I looked into it as well, they told me $900. I will just use Siri instead.

Jeff
Is there any realy benefit to this system over your phone? Its pretty expensive so what is the value proposition?
post #7 of 24 Old 03-14-2016, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Come to think about it for $900 I rather get a tablet and data plan for it, Google maps on that will be even better plus it's a tablet aka... multi purpose.
post #8 of 24 Old 03-15-2016, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
It's a little hard to grasp how given the proliferation of smart phones and Google maps being a free service that has a better maps program than any other system out there, how car companies can sell navigation systems for these prices. And it is more perplexing why people buy them. I seriously do not get it.
post #9 of 24 Old 03-16-2016, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I think the benefit, though still not worth $900 is that you will have all the maps and voice "offline" or "off the grid" if you prefer. Some people don't like using their GPS on their phone. I'm really not sure honestly, that's my guess.
post #10 of 24 Old 03-16-2016, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshewwwahhh View Post
I think the benefit, though still not worth $900 is that you will have all the maps and voice "offline" or "off the grid" if you prefer. Some people don't like using their GPS on their phone. I'm really not sure honestly, that's my guess.
Only downside I can see with that is running your data plan up, but an easy solution to that is to plan it all out on your phone and make note of how to get where you have to go. That way you won't need to always be connected.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion iM Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page