11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 08-31-2015, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Amp and Subwoofer install...

I have a new amp and subwoofer waiting in the living room for when the car shows up. Will post pics and an install write up when I'm done.
808 Auris likes this.

Active car enthusiast since 1996... This is my second brand new Scion (previously owned a 2005 XB). Loving my 2016 Scion iM Electric Storm Blue 6 speed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 09-13-2015, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
There are NO RCA jacks on the OEM headunit like there were on previous model Scions. There are 2 open jacks for harnesses to plug in to that may indicate that future models with this head unit or other cars (TC or FR-S) may have a subwoofer option that a harness plugs into on the head unit though... I need to do some more research. Here are some pictures for reference. The piano black piece just pops off (gently... I started from the corner by the passenger airbag light) and there are 4 x 10mm bolts that secure the radio to the dash.

There are two plugs that attach to the piano black piece (hazard switch and passenger airbag switch) that need to be disconnected before removing the trim bezel completely

After the trim is out of the way you can removed the 4 x 10mm bolts that secure the radio to the dash and slide it out at an angle. There are multiple connectors to remove from the rear of the stereo, but as you can see there are no RCS jacks built into the head unit... this makes me sad. I really do not want to use line converters to make RCA jacks, I may look into the Bespoke NAV headunit, but before doing so I am going to read up more on the Toyota Auris, and Toyota Corolla Levin ZR then scavenge the rear interior of the vehicle, and under the seats to see if the car is pre-wired for any kind of subwoofer option we don't have yet here in the states.

Here is the model number / info from the stereo label:
BensonC and ovmech like this.

Active car enthusiast since 1996... This is my second brand new Scion (previously owned a 2005 XB). Loving my 2016 Scion iM Electric Storm Blue 6 speed!
post #3 of 47 Old 09-13-2015, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have emailed Pioneer about the head unit. There are no hook ups anywhere else in the car I could find that would indicate a future subwoofer option, BUT these are the two harness jacks that are open on the back of the stock head unit... Anyone recognize or know what these may be for?

post #4 of 47 Old 09-14-2015, 12:17 AM
mfd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
That is too bad. Was hoping to see some preouts on this car. Do you think an aftermarket pioneer would keep all the features in tact like Bluetooth, steering wheel control, etc?

Thanks for the update.

Aaron
post #5 of 47 Old 09-14-2015, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfd View Post
That is too bad. Was hoping to see some preouts on this car. Do you think an aftermarket pioneer would keep all the features in tact like Bluetooth, steering wheel control, etc?

Thanks for the update.

Aaron
I doubt it. That's why I've emailed Pioneer about the stock unit to see what these two unused plugs are for.

post #6 of 47 Old 09-14-2015, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Any chance one of those has anything to do with the optional GPS?
post #7 of 47 Old 09-14-2015, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I was under the impression that the headunit with the GPS was an entirely new stereo... Maybe, but I'm not sure at this point. I can say that normally on most car manufacturers cars there a NO empty receptacles for harnesses on the stereos and if anything plugs in to them the cars will be pre-wired from the factory for optional accessories... in this case there's not even any wires run to the headunit.

I'll definitely post up what I hear back from Pioneer.

post #8 of 47 Old 09-14-2015, 12:33 PM
SiM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Great mini-write up and pictures to go with it, this should be something that's linked to in some sticky thread since I know it will come up A LOT especially with the overall demographic of iM buyers.
post #9 of 47 Old 09-14-2015, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure the Nav radio is the same unit with an "update" put to the radio. Here is a LINK to Scion's page for the two radios.

I really like the Mazda3 as a replacement for the iM as I don't comfortably fit in the iM and I do in the M3, but I can't stand the look and replaceability of the stock radio. One of the only things holding me back on the M3. I hope you can figure this out, because since I have had my sub installed I wouldn't want anything without one.
post #10 of 47 Old 09-14-2015, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just curious... have you heard how good the OEM stereo sounds?

If Mazda wouldn't have changed the body style on the 3 I'd have looked at them a little harder, but dang the new ones are fuuuugggggly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion iM Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page