Ever wondered what Scion's "iM" name stands for? - Scion iM Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-21-2014, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Ever wondered what Scion's "iM" name stands for?

If you’re wondering about the name that lowercase “i” stands for “individuality” while the “M” supposedly represents “modern,” “multifaceted” and “magnetic.”
ovmech likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-21-2014, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
A magnetic car? Wouldn't that be a bit dangerous to drive around?

post #3 of 12 Old 11-22-2014, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
if they're going to walk around with branding like that they better not be thinking about money money money...

post #4 of 12 Old 11-24-2014, 10:53 AM

So what you are saying is that the name of the car doesn't exactly broadcast a luxurious and expensive car?

I wonder how they would say that the iM captures the "multifaceted" part of the name.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-24-2014, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

I like their meaning behind the name.
Not the best break down of a name but it's good enough

I especially like "magnetic", I see the iM being "magnetic" as in it's attracting people to it.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-25-2014, 11:43 AM

Car names nowadays are almost always just a combination of numbers and letters. So say what you will about the inspiration behind the name, if it were truly inspired you'd think they would come up with something other than "iM". You just choose some words that you like that start with the letters 'i' and 'm' and then Presto! you've got a car name.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-28-2014, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha View Post
Car names nowadays are almost always just a combination of numbers and letters. So say what you will about the inspiration behind the name, if it were truly inspired you'd think they would come up with something other than "iM". You just choose some words that you like that start with the letters 'i' and 'm' and then Presto! you've got a car name.
its about branding and ease of use. If you're going to criticise the iM you need to criticise all Scion branded cars because that's the strategy. iM is easier to recognize and remember than the Scion Emasculator.

I don't 'care' for the name either, but it doesn't bother me because the car has been named but the name is not the car. If the name carries more weight than the content of the car than you're not really buying the car for you, but as a signifier. You're more worried about what the name projects than about what the car does for you...and that's weird

Last edited by Filmore; 11-28-2014 at 09:57 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-28-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmore View Post
its about branding and ease of use. If you're going to criticise the iM you need to criticise all Scion branded cars because that's the strategy. iM is easier to recognize and remember than the Scion Emasculator.

I don't 'care' for the name either, but it doesn't bother me because the car has been named but the name is not the car. If the name carries more weight than the content of the car than you're not really buying the car for you, but as a signifier. You're more worried about what the name projects than about what the car does for you...and that's weird
Um, I don't see how commenting on the name of the car in a thread about the name of the car makes me care about the name of the car more than anything else. Not sure how you made that jump.

The Scion Emasculator sure does have a ring to it.

I agree that a name doesn't count for much, it's about the content of the car. But if we are talking about names, then shouldn't I get to express my opinion on that?
post #9 of 12 Old 11-28-2014, 01:11 PM
SiM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
I'm neither a big fan of the name.

Likely when the time comes to take delivery of one, it will be debadged, wearing toyota emblems only.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-29-2014, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

i know i will be ordering Auris badges for my iM if i end up getting one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion iM Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page